IB 2.0

Announcements about the forum or services itself
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Invision Board 2.0 is coming out soon and it will be very slick. I just been informed that this current skin won't work on 2.0. So I will have to remake it from scratch by editing all the templates again.

It's the second time I do this for this skin, and I was thinking it may be time for a whole new skin.

What do you guys think, should we stick with this skin, or should I make a completly new one? Either way is just as much work so it does not matter. Even though keeping this skin is simply copy and pasting code around, it's chopped into so many different parts it's just as much work as going at it from scratch. ;)

So I want opinions please! :banana:

IB 2.0 should be out by the end of this month I think. I hope it will be out before the march break, that would be perfect because I'll have time to work on the skin. If it's after the march break I'll only have weekends really.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18071
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Triple6_wild

IB 2.0

Post by Triple6_wild »

lol wouldnt wanna make ya work any harder then ya already do but it would be nice to see somthing new ... what the rest of ya think?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18073

Wait what?
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

For everyone's info IB 2.0 should be available by next week, according to this thread: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?act=ST&f=&t=116986

But it will only be a beta and not all features such as templates, upgrade script etc will not be available. So I'll give them a few weeks of testing for the first actual release and then give me about a month and I'll have us converted over. ;) I might even throw in a few extra custom features while I'm at it. I'm not sure how smooth the database conversion will go since there's lots of custom tables and such, not sure if the converter will ingore those or not. If it does, I can probably regenerate them on my server. The tricky part will be to keep the database updated. The best way will probably to have two IB 2.0 installations on my server, one that I will be working on, and the other to simply run the upgrade script on the DB. But either way, I'll figure everything out and the transition should be smooth once everything is ready.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18253
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Alpha screen shots!

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry839344

Looks pretty good! The public release should be available in a few days.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18365
Chris Vogel

IB 2.0

Post by Chris Vogel »

Hey, that does look very good! I can't wait until we upgrade so I can play will these neat features. :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18372
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

:D I can't wait to get more trolls so we can use those new ACP features. :lol2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18374
Chris Vogel

IB 2.0

Post by Chris Vogel »

Hehe... Do you synchronise the AF's ban list with ours?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18376
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually I don't, but it would probably not be a bad idea. But really the only problem I even had was Xxskull demon xX dude, the rest never dare to come here. :D

Maybe they realize that some threads sometimes go very high on google, and their IP, location and username publicly displayed and searchable on google probably scares the heck out of them.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18378
Chris Vogel

IB 2.0

Post by Chris Vogel »

Iceteks really can live without some of those valued members the AF has been getting... Thank XML they overlooked us.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18379
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah. Lately it has not been too bad though. Really the worse one was the 666 guy. Why would xml do something? :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18380
Chris Vogel

IB 2.0

Post by Chris Vogel »

I was just substituting XML for God... :angelic:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18381
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

lol oh. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18382
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

2.0 is released!
It's not the final, it's only for testing and stuff, but it's one step closer.
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry846408

I'm going to install it on my server to check it out.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18534
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm playing around with IB 2.0 on my server and all I can say is WOW! It is awesome! Everything is so much easier to do. I just need to think of an idea for a new skin, and I have something cool in mind. B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18556
fab4fan

IB 2.0

Post by fab4fan »

you should create a new skin :P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18557
Triple6_wild

IB 2.0

Post by Triple6_wild »

i cant wait to see what you come up with red .... put up a few sneek peeks when you have the skin started B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18558

Wait what?
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I'll definatly put a few sneak peaks. In fact I might change the site header before the release just to give a few ideas of how the rest of the forum will be. The forum and site layout are good but the graphics can use something new.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18568
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

I've been analysing the database tables and such, and it apears I'll easly be able to convert over before they actually release the official one, and when they do, I'll be able to simply replace the php files flawlessly. I tested the conversion on my server and everything is 100% ok and all integrity testing went fine.

So the upgrade should take place thursday or friday of this week. I'll be gone for tomorow and the day after, so it depends on my mental condition wether or not I do the upgrade right away or wait the next day. I might be tired, not sure what time we'll be getting up and what not.

So expect this site to be the first official 2.0 board around besides IPB's site.

Oh, and the skin is taken care of, turns out the templates did not change that much. I just have one slight think to tinkle with and I'll be all set to upgrade, and keep this skin, which I'll make better later on.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18574
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

^^^^^^ That last message is false, it was just to build up to make my prank look a bit less obvious. :D

IB 2.0 is still in beta and I'm waiting till it goes gold before starting the conversion.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18658
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

News from IPB

Invision Power Board 2.0.0 Development Update #1 (2-April-04)

This is the first of a series of weekly development update announcements which will contain information on progress throughout the IPB 2.0.0 development cycle.

Last week saw the first release of IPB 2 which has been an overall success considering that it's the first release of a major version increment and although the feature set is incomplete it proved to be stable.

This week I've been putting my focus on completing the feature set before the next release. The global announcement feature has been added which allows super moderators and administrators to create announcements that appear at the top of the forum listing. This announcement can be timed to start at an entered date and end at an entered date and you can also choose which forums to show the announcement in.

The trash can feature has also been implemented. This allows the administrator to set up a 'trash can' forum which all deleted topics and posts are moved into instead of being simply removed from the database. You can hide viewing permissions from members and even staff to make it transparent. This is a very convenient way of reviewing deleted material and using the new inline moderation, restoring deleted material is a matter of a few clicks.

I've started work on the new "Post Office". This will be an area that allows the administrator to bulk email their members. The bulk mail feature has been hugely improved from previous versions and now sends out the mail via the mail queue system which means that you will no longer get failed mail messages due to large BCC headers. What's more - the post office saves all sent bulk mail and preserves the settings so you have a record of what you've sent and to whom. You can even start a new mail based on previous mailings which is a handy way of storing a template with settings to make regular bulk mailing less of a chore.

Post Office: New Bulk Mail Screen

What's left to do?

We've still got a bit of work to do before IPB 2 reaches release candidate quality. I aim to have the full feature set implemented for PDR 2 (Beta 2) and the full database abstraction layer implemented for PDR 3 (Beta 3). It's quite possible that the bulk of the bug fixing will be done after PDR 3 (Beta 3) as it might prove beneficial to wait until all the components are completed to reduce the possibility of fixing-by-changing.

Skins and Languages

As mentioned in other announcements, the skins and language sets are not complete and will receive an overhaul during the development cycle. As a rule of thumb, the skins and langauges will not be complete until PR 1 (RC 1).

Upgrading to PDR 2 from PDR 1

We might implement our upgrade system a little earlier and give it an airing for the next beta release. There have been some schematic changes and this will require a script to be written. We plan to introduce a more integrated method of upgrading between releases.

Upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0.0

There is currently no upgrade path from 1.3 to 2.0.0. We plan on writing the upgrade script for around PDR 3 (Beta 3). Until then please don't try and import a 1.3 database into 2.0 - it simply won't work.
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry853271

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:18705
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Another update

This is just a brief announcement to keep you up to date with the release schedule for IPB 2.0.0 PDR 2.

IPB 2.0.0 PDR 2 comes with the new upgrade system which will automatically work out which upgrade 'modules' have to be run in order to get you totally up to date. As this is new, it requires extensive testing before it's put on general release and as such we've decided to stagger the release to give us time to get some good feedback and control the testing environment.

We released PDR 2 to the staff earlier today and we've already fixed a few minor issues and as the feedback was positive we have just released PDR 2 to the customer's area.

We expect to gather some feedback over the weekend and put PDR 2 on general release on Monday afternoon.
So if monday truely is the release date, I'll move my butt to get that long English project out of the way (been slack'n anyway...) and once it's done I'll get started on the upgrade. I already have it planed out and if everything works out the upgrade will be smooth. There should only be about 10 minutes of forum downtime and what I'll do is make the forum in read only mode so it's still accessable. I just don't want posts since the ones durring the upgrade will be lost. The upgrade itself will take weeks, but I'll be able to do it with a fresh install, and do the database conversion at the very end.

So by the end of May we should be running on the new board. I've been waiting so long to do this upgrade, it will probably go fast to redo the skin. I'm most likely going to remake a brand new skin from scratch. Time for a change anyway, and it's just as much work as keeping this one anyway.

This time I'll be working on a 100mbps Linux server so it will be SO much better! When I did the 1.1.1 to 1.2 upgrade it was on my win98 server at 10mbps, it was a PIA since it always crashed!

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19270
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Getting closer!

We've just released IPB 2.0.0 PDR 2 into the public downloads area.

This release includes the largely untested upgrade system.

If you're at all uncomfortable with FTP, MySQL, PHP, etc. then you're probably best off doing a new install rather than trying to upgrade your current board.

Bug fixes in IPB 2.0.0 PDR 2

Not many bugs have been fixed in this release - so don't be surprised if any you've reported still exist! There is still some code alteration to complete before we reach the bug fixing stage.

Installing a new IPB 2.0.0 PDR 2

Installation is as PDR 1 was - there have been no changes to the installation system. Please note that the instructions bundled with the IPB 2.0.0 release are wrong. This previous announcement has the correct installation instructions.

Upgrading from 1.x

There is no upgrade path from IPB 1.x yet - we expect to have this complete for PDR 4. We aim to write a single convertor to take you from either 1.0., 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 to the latest IPB 2.0.0 release using the new upgrade module system.

full thread
I thought PDR 2.0 was suppost to have a 1.x converter but it does not look like it! Still lot of bugs to fix anyway so I'll wait till it's considered stable. Hopefully soon since I'm tired of waiting. :P

The only problem I see is that we are 1 version behind, we're running 1.2 and 1.3 is the current stable release. So I'm thinking the converter might be made for 1.3 only and not the older versions. From the look of the thread though it will probably work with all 1.x.

If by any chance that's not the case I'll manually convert everything. It will take much longer, but should be possible.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19298
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Finally another update, and we are getting closer. The release date should be May 27th. I believe this is the one that I will be able to upgrade to as it will be considerd stable.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry882629

This is the fourth IPB 2.0.0 development update. These updates are designed to keep you informed on the development progress of Invision Power Board v2.0.0.

We've almost completed IPB 2.0.0 PDR 3 and this is where things get quite exciting as we begin to wrap up the 'middle' part of the last stage of development and testing. So far we're very pleased with the progress and the great work in finding and reporting bugs.

The last few features are being added for PDR 3 including the last elements of the new skinning and templating system. We have also fixed up a number of the largest bugs reported and are pleased with the overall stability and security of the system.

New feature: Template Search and Replace

We have included a very useful search and replace tool to improve upon the functionality offered in IPB 1. The new search now enables you to 'quick' search through the template set and its parents for keywords or HTML tags. The results are shown in a familiar format and you can edit them from there or preview the matches. This is very handy if you've seen a block of HTML in the output and wish to trace where it is stored within the database system.

There is also a more powerful 'search and replace' tool which enables one to enter regular expressions to match and optionally replace HTML. You can simply preview the matches and the replacements if you wish to just search using regular expressions or to ensure that you have your expressions correct. Of course, you can just search and replace normal text without needing to learn regular expressions.

The usefulness of this tool shouldn't be overlooked as it enables one to make global and sweeping changes to your templates with little work. An example: you might wish to make sure that all your DIVs are called using IDs and not classes. To enable this, all you'd need to do is enter "<divs+?class=(["'])" and replace with "<div id=\1". (Of course we're not suggesting that you actually do that...)

Latest Release Date Estimates

PDR3 (next beta release): Monday 17th May
RC1 (first supported release): Thursday 27th May

Please note that these dates are only estimates and should only be used as a guide. They are subject to change without notice due to the unpredictable nature of software development. Put simply: they are dates that seem reasonable based on the current speed of development.

What's left to do?

We've still got a fair bit of work to do before IPB 2 reaches release candidate quality. The full feature set is now implemented (apart from a few minor tweaks and enhancements). I hope to have full database abstraction for PDR 4 and the remainder of the reported bugs should be fixed by then also.

Skins and Languages

As mentioned in other announcements, the skins and language sets are not complete and will receive an overhaul during the development cycle. As a rule of thumb, the skins and langauges will not be complete until PR 1 (RC 1).

Upgrading to PDR 3 from PDR 1 or 2

We have initiated our new upgrade system and a new upgrade module will be written for PDR 3.

Upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0.0

There is currently no upgrade path from 1.3 to 2.0.0. We plan on writing the upgrade script for around PDR 4 (Beta 4). Until then please don't try and import a 1.3 database into 2.0 - it simply won't work.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19620
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Tomorow is the release date of IB 2.0!!!! I can't wait!!!

I bet 90% they will push it to like next week or something. :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19836
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

I was right... it's not today...

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19893