I'm getting a taste of hell

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I just got a customer's PC in my shop to be repaired and they use dialup. :o

Not only that, it's a 14.4k modem and the nic (thank god there's actually one) is not working so I need to get new drivers.

If that does not work I'll have to actualy *use* the 14.4K modem for something else then a door wedge, but actualy use it for the internet. OMG I don't know if I'll be able to handle this. If I'm not back by next year (the time it should take to download the adaware updates) it means I commited suicide.

:D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8117
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
sintekk

Post by sintekk »

Why not just replace it with a 56k modem you have on hand? I have at least ten of them lying around in my garage :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8118
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Well I will definatly recomend them an upgrade and make them a price. That 2Gig hard drive has got to go, they should get at least a 60Gig. Geez and they were saying there was "memory problems" no kidding.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8119
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Man this computer really is hell. holy crap I never seen a computer this freken slow. If I knew what to backup I'd wipe it all. People are rediculous. It's a PIA to fix a dialup computer too since the stupid dialup thing pops up for every fricken thing I try to do. I really don't miss dialup. That's so 1990's, suprised people still use that. But they live on a farm so they can't get cable or dsl.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8120
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

I hate dial up. I stilll have a 56k modem. Broadband companies pick and choose where they provide to so we are not included. I wouldnt mind if I lived in the backarse of the country but I live near a town that has it.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8147
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah my aunt is like a few houses away from a DSL central office, but her house was built before the CO so she's not connected to it. That really sucks for her, she's stuck on dialup too, or she's on cable. I forget.

And the PC has a 2GB HDD! Like OMG how can anyone live with such old spec hardware. I mean, I have over 2GB of data in programs alone. (about 10GB).

I called the customer to let them know I'll do a format, this thing is slow and there's no spyware or anything, so the slowness is just from accumulated junk that still leaves tracks when you delete. (ex: overwritten system files and stuff). I can just backup the entire drive on my server though... like 40 times LOL.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8154
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Christ 2GB How old is it? My old computer had 2GB my new one as 120GB

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8213
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
lilbill08

Post by lilbill08 »

Hey, I want to do what you do... do you pay taxes for the company?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8222
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah lot of taxes, well not that much yet, but 8% pst. I used to charge it but instead I just charge a bit more expensive, I hate asking for 43.72 so instead I just charge 45.00 and pay 8% to my great goverment. Because truely in my heart, I know they can use the money for great things. :P

Once I make over 30 grand a year I'll have to pay GST as well, which is 7%. That's only on sales and servicing though, for web design I don't pay any taxes.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8233
lilbill08

Post by lilbill08 »

Where did you register? Any age limit? I live in NJ.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8236
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Here there's no age limit but maybe there is in the states, not sure how it works. I just had to go to the municipal business office and they walked me through the process. It costed 60 bucks or something like that but it registered my name in all Ontario. So find out where the busness office in your town is and just go there.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8253
Andy

Post by Andy »

lilbill08 wrote: Where did you register? Any age limit? I live in NJ.

Bill set an avatar and some info. :P ;) ^_^

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8255
lilbill08

Post by lilbill08 »

Red, I know I'm nosey, but I really might get certified... how much spending money do you make a year? Roughly?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8294
NightStalker2K8

Post by NightStalker2K8 »

im glad you posted this, you mad me fell better about my PC, I use to have a pretty good 98 and then it crashed so we got a XP that was super crap, note to self NEVER LET THE PARENTS PICK THE PC, I was gone for a few days, and they bought a super crap pc that came with a cd/dvd burner (at lease it has a good feature) well I have had it for 6 months is it is almost already broken, it has a 37 GB harddrvie and is really really crappy. But thanks to you I fell a lil bit better about my pc, I thank you, and they should just chunk pc, I didnt even new they made dialup modems that slow, but know I have Cable, its pretty good. But you say you repare computers, like in the future if my PC gets unberiable could I send it in to you to get it to run better? And what the price? you have probablly said a million times befor about your biz but I have only been here for a day. :dance:
I just love that icon

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8298
*barney theme* I hate metallicaFan, he hates me, he banned me from posting recently. with a fight and a ban and a bruteforcing of his account, ill screw that mother up till he cant count.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Well my business cost is almost 0, taxes are not really a cost, since it's based on profit. (0 profit = 0 taxes). Where the big spending is, is stuff for the business, for example, I needed a server to manage everything, so I bought the parts and built it, and it costed roughly 1,500 which is the average price it costs here for building a PC from strictly wholesale parts.

As for the income, right now I'd say I might of made about 2000 to 3000 bucks in one year. But the business is a bit over a year old so I'm hoping for a better future. I'm working on a better finance system so I can get more accurate stats, as now I'm just estimating.

For my pricing you can see here. http://services.iceteks.com. I only do local repairs though since shipping is too much trouble for the customer anyway and you risk damaging the PC sending it all the way up here, especially with the heat sink still on. (but you should always remove the heat sink when you ship a PC!)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:785, old post ID:8299