World's Longest Thread

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

How do you know how to do all this stuff? You must be a very busy person.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19577
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Forums.. :D I posted at a forum about that issue to see if there's any known ways. I had one way in mind but what has been suggested is much better and not as hard on the server. It's not my main priority though but I need to do something before I loose money from it, especially if what I heard is true, that firefox will have a built-in ad blocker. I'm not against firefox, I just don't think it's right to have that by default especialy if they do in fact end up dominating the browser market, and I do hope they infact will, but this ad blocker idea ain't a good thing for most sites.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19579
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

No they should leave it the way it is, it's perfect. Somethings are annoying like when you actually want a window to pop up but it won't because of the blocker but then you can even turn that off if you want to. Maybe they could just make this new add blocker an option that you can turn on and off.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19582
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

it probably will be an option but the issue is that it will probably be on by default.

blocking popups is good, it's blocking non invasive ads that will harm the market big time.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19588
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Yea I guess I'll just have to take your word for it because I don't know anything about that stuff.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19592
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

man my dad is snoring louder then a diesel generator with no muffler. :argh: :argh: :argh: Whatever I try to wake him up makes my mom wake up and the worse state to see her in is at night when she comes out and tells me to shut up. She looks like a zombie I dont know why but it's freaky. I tried putting my fan inside a box full of packing sterefoam in hopes it would make it move inside the box to make noise and block the snoring.. BAD idea, it made it fly all over! :lol:

I have some old ethernet cable that is not worthy of being used as ethernet (got stretched during something...) so I think I'll run it up to his room and hook it up to a loud speaker and hook it up to a device that makes a beep or alarm sound. Just hit the switch real quick and hopefully that will wake him up. I'm off all week so it may be a good time to set this up. I can use the baseboards for the whole way, since there's no need to cross the hall to get to his room. So no visible wires whatsoever. Sounds like a plan. Though there's high resitence on those small wires so not sure what type of voltage I'll have to send through it. May need an amplifier circuit. sounds like allot of trouble just so I can sleep at night.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19596
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Oh man this sounds like a movie. I wish I could get some video of this. lol

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19597
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

lol yeah. I'm trying to think of safer ideas (I could get caught doing this, my dad comes home at very random times during workdays) but something has got to be done it's insane.

Or I can just get more fans in my room but still, I can still feel the vibration through the ground so the snoring has to stop.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19598
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Cool, post 2222. :D (not anymore)

Another option is taking my first concept, but making it wireless. :lol: A baby monitor circuitboard should do.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19599
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Red what is "phpbb"?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19600
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Just a different forum software then invision power board. phpbb is free and I think is even open source.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19604
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Oh ok now I know what you mean. I've been to one of them before, don't care for them much though.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19606
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah it does not have as many features as IPB. But IPB went down the tubes so phpbb is one of the only choices now for free BBS software.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19607
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

See you always gotta throw something in there. I thought I was actually gonna understand one of your posts but then you threw in "BBS software".....?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19610
"Never be game over"
Chris Vogel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Chris Vogel »

ycontrol wrote: See you always gotta throw something in there. I thought I was actually gonna understand one of your posts but then you threw in "BBS software".....?
BBS stands for “bulletin board system”, which is anything like phpBB or Invision. :) I really like phpBB. That’s what my board would run if I had one. :)

Do they always do a crappy job with DVD subtitles? I was watching a movie in French with French subtitles (It’s a good learning tool. :P ), and so many things didn’t match up! It said the movie was dubbed in Québec, so that explains it. Silly Québécois. :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19628
MrSelf

World's Longest Thread

Post by MrSelf »

One of the things I love about this forums is that everyone has thier own interest and expertise. I learn so much just observing the computer people here that ends up being very valuable when I need to do something involving that area later. :)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19631
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Tak wrote:
ycontrol wrote: See you always gotta throw something in there. I thought I was actually gonna understand one of your posts but then you threw in "BBS software".....?
BBS stands for “bulletin board system”, which is anything like phpBB or Invision. :) I really like phpBB. That’s what my board would run if I had one. :)

Do they always do a crappy job with DVD subtitles? I was watching a movie in French with French subtitles (It’s a good learning tool. :P ), and so many things didn’t match up! It said the movie was dubbed in Québec, so that explains it. Silly Québécois. :P

Don't rely on stuff like that to learn though I find translations are SO off on stuff like that. For example you'll buy a cleaning agent and in English it will say "bathtub cleaner" and on french it will say "nettoyant de salle de bain" which means "washroom cleaner". I often look at translations like that just for fun. They both make sense for the product, but they don't mean the same.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19646
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

My security system sends me an email when a blocked person tries to access.

This is a problem, because I just blocked a worm 2000 times overnight. I'm scared to go open my inbox. :lol: I need to set it as an option for rules so I can turn emails on or off.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19647
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Tak wrote: Do they always do a crappy job with DVD subtitles?  I was watching a movie in French with French subtitles (It’s a good learning tool.  :P ), and so many things didn’t match up!  It said the movie was dubbed in Québec, so that explains it.  Silly Québécois.  :P
Oh no.... :didi:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19652
"Never be game over"
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

MrSelf wrote: One of the things I love about this forums is that everyone has thier own interest and expertise. I learn so much just observing the computer people here that ends up being very valuable when I need to do something involving that area later. :)
Yea me too. I can learn a crap load from Red just from one of his posts.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19653
"Never be game over"
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Red Squirrel wrote: My security system sends me an email when a blocked person tries to access.

This is a problem, because I just blocked a worm 2000 times overnight.  I'm scared to go open my inbox. :lol:  I need to set it as an option for rules so I can turn emails on or off.
Yeah have fun with that one.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19654
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Just disabled the email notification thingy and made it so I can decide on each rule. Makes more sense that way. If I set "set alarm" then it sends me an email, since the alarm system is what I look at for specific rules, usually more dangeraus people such as hackers I put this on and set it to like status 5. But for stuff like a robot that is designed for only one purpose and keeps failing at it anyway, it's not worthy for an alarm to be set.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19661

ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Nice job Red.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19665
"Never be game over"
Red Squirrel

World's Longest Thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah the security system is pretty neat. Lot of old code but it all works. Yesterday I rewrote one of the major engines in it which may even speed things up a bit on the server side, but probably not noticable but when we get more traffic it will be better on the server. The worm seems to have died down though. Only got 9 hits from it since I posted that image.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19667
ycontrol

World's Longest Thread

Post by ycontrol »

Damn tremors.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:4, old post ID:19670
"Never be game over"