PC Upgrade FTW

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

PC Upgrade FTW

Post by Red Squirrel »

Took components out of current workstation's clear acrylic case, put them in new server case. Had some trouble with the NON STANDARD hard drive bays. (why do they do this?) but I rigged up something... Thats 3HDDs btw, took em from the server as this used hardware is the server upgrade (for my local home server). That 700w PSU actually USES 700w when idle, so my UPS complained, but it eventually took the load. I was scared to even turn it on, but it went fine. That was my UPS upstairs though, the server UPS took it fine. (same specs though)

After a few changes in the bios, "new" server booted up fine, right up to the logon screen. W00T for Linux - no need to reinstall despite the major hardware change.

Then I gutted the rest of the server case which was everything but HDDs, added my newly purchased hardware to that case (liked that case better as workstation, hence the swap). It's complete and fully operational.

The old server hardware will go in the clear acrylic case once I clean it up and will go to my sister which has this super crappy compaq so she'll be happy to have a real computer that can do typical functions such as print and scan. That hardware is actualy my first custom build, so its quite old, but still usable with win2k. Heck I used to do autocad renders on there, so it does have balls for an old machine. It also ran tons of stuff as a server. It powered my UO test shard, along with a p2p vm, a firewall vm, and a public access ssh/ftp server for uo script exchange. Thats just in VMs, on the host it did everything from DC, file, spam filtering, and everything else except for powering flow pressure to the faucet leading to the kitchen sink.

Now my new PC is all setup, I even did the custom wiring so I can control the fans from either the case or the desk. I kept lan partys in mind when I did this, as if I unhook the control cord (which is actually a modded parallel cord) then all fans wont work. This would be bad at a lan party. :P So the front switches will override the desk switches.

Right now I'm installing drivers and programs, YAY! It's boring, but at least I get to sit down and I'm not running around and worrying that something goes wrong. The electrical part is also scary, specially when the solder joint which was not covered yet accidentally touched the case.

Anyway, final specs are:

Destroyer (workstation)
AMD Athlon XP dual core 5600+
2GB of ram
120GB HDD (currently old drive partitioned in two, will move data to 2nd HDD and repartition to keep this one for OS only)
500GB HDD
Radeon 7000 video card
Windows XP pro

Borg (main server)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
3.5GB of ram
120GB hdd
200GB hdd
500GB hdd
NVidia Gforce 4200 TI (overkill for white text on black, I know :P)
Fedora Core 5 (original installation)

Old server was:

AMD athlon 2000+
2GB of ram
same hard drives and same OS install

And if anyone paid attention, the Radeon 7000 was a joke, I'm using it temporarily until my new video card arrives which is a E-GEFORCE 8600GT with dual DVI (I'm gambling here if those wont work with a DVI to VGA adapter, I'm kinda screwed:P )

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4930, old post ID:38437
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Red Squirrel

PC Upgrade FTW

Post by Red Squirrel »

Here's a "Benchmark"

On the new PC I'm doing a file transfer and an installation at same time, cpu is barely taking a hit.

On server I got 3 VMs running and a UO server compile took only a bit over 2:30 minutes. (they used to take about 10 minutes under these conditions)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4930, old post ID:38438
travis

PC Upgrade FTW

Post by travis »

Nice setup there man! Upgraded to dual core. This is a small typo though, it is not an XP it is an "X2", haha. Did you upgrade to AM2 or stayed with 939?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4930, old post ID:38453
C2D E6400 @ 3.4ghz/Scythe Infinity
GA-965P-DS3
1GB G.Skill HZ @ DDR2 1000
BFG Nvidia 7600gt @ 632/1610
Seagate 7200.10 250GB
NEC DVD+/-RW
Antec NeoHE 550W
LG 21" Widescreen LCD
Chenming Server Case/Razer Copperhead/Logitech X-230
Red Squirrel

PC Upgrade FTW

Post by Red Squirrel »

Went with AM2 since I had to buy a new motherboard anyway. Old motherboard went to the server. With same chip and all, just more ram.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4930, old post ID:38455