Seal hunt

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Red Squirrel

Seal hunt

Post by Red Squirrel »

Every year Canada has a seal hunt, mass slaughtering 100's of thousands of seals, and leaving the bodies to rot on the ice, and the blood spill all over the ice/water, and lot of them are half dead and later on die (this is not counted in the kill count).

It's a brutal unneeded event but yet they keep doing it. The babies are also killed, if you do a google search, it's quite gory to see. They're beaten with clubs, picks, and other various weapons. Some are shot from distance and still survive but are in lot of pain.

Lot of people frown upon that, and even lot of Canadians are against, but some for some reason, defend it. Aperently it's for population control, but this only makes the population worse as they adapt to this.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34461
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Death

Seal hunt

Post by Death »

Yea, that's just sick and twisted. Poor things.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34462
manadren_it

Seal hunt

Post by manadren_it »

I really don't feel like weighing in on the moralethical issues of the mass killing of seals, but I will pull a southern-US POV and say this: They're just leaving them there to rot? If you're going to kill something you at least need to eat it or make something of the animal's carcassskinetc.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34463
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
Anonymous

Seal hunt

Post by Anonymous »

I wont pretend to know much about seal hunting but I have to say some of the "facts" here sound rediculous. As was said, why would they leave the seals to rot? They need the fur. Why would they shoot them? That damages the fur. Hundreds of thousdans? Not likely. As far as I know they are only after the pups for the fur not the poor mommas and pappas.

I do know a lot about Canadians, and I would say the vast majority don't like seal hunting and it is tightly regulated.

In general, I would not limmit my knowledge of things to Google searches. One needs to know exatly where to go to get reliable information on the internet.

That is all...

Bob out.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34465
Red Squirrel

Seal hunt

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah killing that many in such a small amount of time, and radious is bad enough, leaving the bodies there is even worse. Aperently they do take some as they use some organs for profit and the fur but not all of them. Out of the pics / vids I've seen lot of them dont die right away and just wobble around for a bit then die sooner or later. And wether they take fur/meat etc, they're doing it only for profit, it's not like it's a personal hunting trip, catch a few, go home and feed the family, type deal.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34466
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Anonymous

Seal hunt

Post by Anonymous »

I stand corrected.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/04/...t.ap/index.html

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34496
Wren

Seal hunt

Post by Wren »

There was some concern years ago about this, I had no idea it was still going on. :sick:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34501
jellyfish

Seal hunt

Post by jellyfish »

It's not about money at all: Firm offers $16m to end seal cull but that offer was refused.

People like killing animals- it gives them pleasure and that's why they do it- they will always try to find a way to justify it somehow.

It's a shame that the seals can't bite the hunter's balls off though.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34510
manadren_it

Seal hunt

Post by manadren_it »

$16m one shot vs. $14.4 per year. Not to mention the question of who would get that $16m, and the businesses that indirectly profit form the hunt. Not to say it's all about the money, but it's hard to put a dollar amount on something like that. I would say the main reasons are money and tradition, followed by sport. I'm not saying I'm for the event. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done away with. But nobody ever sees the entire picture, just the bits they want to get angry about.

Just call me the anti-cause :P Still with all their good intentions, 99% of activists on any side of any issue are either ignorant, selectively blind, or full of crap.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34512
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
sintekk

Seal hunt

Post by sintekk »

Kinda reminds me of an Opie and Anthony (shock jocks on XM Radio) Story:
Back when they were on terrestrial radio in New York, they had a promotion during Thanksgiving called Kill Your Own Turkey. They told their readers a location they were going to be broadcasted live at and that anyone could come and bring their own weapons to kill and keep a live turkey (Anything from a club to axes were fine).

Anyways, when the promotion event comes, a huge herd of people are waiting for Opie and Anthony to say GO so they could go slaughter their turkeys. When they get the word 'go', they run around the corner and down to a park, hoping to find a bunch of live turkeys to mutilate. Instead, there's a bunch of paper turkeys, each containing a coupon for a frozen turkey at a shop down the road.

Saying the participants were pissed is an understatement. The van O and A were broadcasting from had over 10,000 dollars in damage once everybody was done beating on it and the cops took everybody away.

There's no real point to this story except that people seem to enjoy violence and what better way to get violent than taking it out on some defenseless seal? I'd hit it... with a club :P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4272, old post ID:34514