TURING

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Anonymous

TURING

Post by Anonymous »

:dosgonebad:

I'm doing a turing project in school and I need help. We are making a game and we have to present tomorow, so its really urgent. When somebody plays our game tomorow, its not supposed to crash, no matter what they type. This is the problem I have:

var NumberOfGames: int
put "How many games do you want to play... " ..
get NumberOfGames

If the user types a letter, or anything but a integer, the program will crash. How would you make it so instead of crashing, it displays a message saying "Invalid Choice", or "Please choose an integer"?

I would appreciate it if somebody replies soon. Thank you! :awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20205
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

How about reading this?
http://www.iceteks.com/forums/show.php/showtopic/1909
:P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20206
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

Another obvious suggestion that might just help you:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/...nguages/Turing/
:P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20207
Anonymous

TURING

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for help sintekk :thumbsup:

But the site you gave me had alot of links. I checked about five of them. A few didn't work. The site comp.sci.com wasn't bad, but i found out there were alot of message polls there also. I was hoping if somebody could reply and tell me what to do cuz i'm relly stuck :grade11math:

Thanks again! :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20211
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

Welcome aboard! unfortunatly not allot of us know turing very well so we can't really help. It's funny how this site ranks so high for turing help. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20212
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

(((Jas))) wrote: Thanks for help sintekk :thumbsup:

But the site you gave me had alot of links. I checked about five of them. A few didn't work. The site comp.sci.com wasn't bad, but i found out there were alot of message polls there also. I was hoping if somebody could reply and tell me what to do cuz i'm relly stuck :grade11math:

Thanks again! :)
Glad to help :D
I think Iceteks used to have Turing experts around, but unfortunately you'll be better served elsewhere for Turing :(

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20213
C-well

TURING

Post by C-well »

Someone tell me what class all these people are taking so I DON'T take it!!
Better yet what is their major?
:lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20239
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

C-well wrote: Better yet what is their major?
                :lol:
First thing that popped into my mind was Business Economics and Law :P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20241
C-well

TURING

Post by C-well »

Note to self:
-Do laundry
-Buy milk
-Wash car
-Take out trash
-NEVER TAKE BUSINESS ECONOMICS OR LAW CLASSES
:thinker:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20246
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

I would nt mind it actually... we have no programming classes at my school... but why oh why do they teach turing instead of like c++ or something?! Assembly would be cool too!

I just like the fact of taking 1000 lines to write a hello world program... and understanding the code. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20252
C-well

TURING

Post by C-well »

My point exactly,
2000 lines of jibberish code just to play tic tac toe is laughable, when all you need is a single sheet of paper and a pencil.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20260
Anonymous

TURING

Post by Anonymous »

i am doing this virtual city, and i need to upload a car into the city and make it move horizontally, how am i gonna do this, tried Pic.Id and use it in the command Pic.Draw, but do i have to use Pic.Screenload, has anyone done this before? If anyone has done this before, give me some tips on how to do this, email the way to this mailbox: tom_frank23@hotmail.com

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20262
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

Neoson wrote: i am doing this virtual city, and i need to upload a car into the city and make it move horizontally, how am i gonna do this, tried Pic.Id and use it in the command Pic.Draw, but do i have to use Pic.Screenload, has anyone done this before? If anyone has done this before, give me some tips on how to do this, email the way to this mailbox: tom_frank23@hotmail.com
Did you, perchance, read ANY of the other posts in this thread? :P
No-one here knows squat about turing :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20263
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

Google thinks we know lots though.... lol

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20280
Anonymous

TURING

Post by Anonymous »

funny thing is... i'm a cs major and our major teaches us java, not c++ or any other useful programming language. i mean i wouldn't mind knowing java better than i do, but please... c++ is the most common powerful programming language used, and they only offer 1 serious class. why teach only java?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20906
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah it is weird that they do that. I'll have to learn javascript sooner or later though, at least the basics since I'll need it for my forum software that I'm working on. :D Or I can steal code that I find but it's better to be original.

Oh and welcome aboard. :wave:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20907
Anonymous

TURING

Post by Anonymous »

floored wrote: c++ is the most common powerful programming language used
exactly - it's most common language, they already have enough people who know it :lol: Besides, C++ is getting outdated. Fast :P It's only good for those optimized, system spesific (oftern internal) apps. It is much more fun to program in modern languages B)
Red Squirrel wrote: I'll have to learn javascript sooner or later though
Java and javascript are two compleatly different things - don't mix them up :rolleyes:

did somebody say "turing"? :blink: try reading some tutorials :lol: ask questions later

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20960
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I don't want to learn java (it scares me, and I usually avoid sites that have it) but javascript is sometimes usefull for stuff.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20962
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

Javascript is pie.

Java is pie filled with thumb taks (:lol:) and vomit. It has it's uses, but I despise it nevertheless.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20965
Anonymous

TURING

Post by Anonymous »

sintekk wrote: but I despise [java] nevertheless
hah, good luck porting your applications over to the toaster next to the microwave :lol:

Java is very portable since it's hardware independant. Also it's a very nice OO language. Unlike C++... supposedly it's OO, but it's not :lol:

point is - dont flame a language you've never used before

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20966
sintekk

TURING

Post by sintekk »

Oh, I understand it's portability is nice, I just have a better time using Flash and Shockwave and wasnot to get the job done. They load up faster on all the machines I tested on, and run faster on the slower machines I tested it on.
As for being hardware independant, I've seen flash used on PDAs and other electronics, and I'm sure they could put it on anything they wanted with a little bit of effort. (Although with Sun open-sourcing java in the future, it'll have the leg up).

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20967
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah my main pet peeve with java is how it locks up the whole computer when 1 page is loading and it has a java applet. I have to wait like a few minutes before it responds and by that time I already hit reset or ctrl+alt+delled my way out, and know never to go to that site again.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:20969
Death

TURING

Post by Death »

I would nt mind it actually... we have no programming classes at my school... but why oh why do they teach turing instead of like c++ or something?! Assembly would be cool too!
. It's quite simple really. Why is turing taught? Because it's THAT easy. The teachers know NOTHING about programming, so they take the easiest syntax available. When I learnt turing in grade 10 (Ya, I see your point, why didn't we learn C++ DUH :banghead: ), I knew MORE than my teacher (And that's pretty pitiful). Basically, not many people (Expecially in Timmins) knows how to program successfully in C++ and Java and any in depth programming language. So that's the reason they teach turing in school. I always wanted to go up to one of the teachers, show them some java code and tell them to explain what it does :P .

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2393, old post ID:22434
wtd

TURING

Post by wtd »

The impression I get, though I grew up in the states and have had very little exposure to Turing, is that it's being taught because it has a relatively powerful library (especially for graphics), and that it has a syntax like Pascal, but simplified.

A lot of teachers have quite a bit of experience with Pascal. Until fairly recently it was the teaching language of choice. The problem is that Pascal has a bit of overhead that can be difficult in teaching programming to those with no computer science experience.

When you demonstrate "Hello, world!" you want to be able to show students:

Code: Select all

put "Hello, world!"[code]

Rather than:

[code]program HelloWorld;
begin
   WriteLn('Hello, world!')
end.[code]

Because it's hard to explain why you need the "program HelloWorld;" and "begin", and "end." and why you need parentheses and the "Ln" in "WriteLn".  Also, you then have to explain why the file needs to be called "HelloWorld.pas".

Of course, Turing's acceptance was probably also aided by the fact that most school's paid for Borland's Pascal compiler, and things like the open source Free Pascal Compiler didn't exist.  Teachers and schools didn't think as much about the circumstances of adopting a proprietary language and being tied to a single company, because they'd been doing it for years. 

[color=#888888][size=85]Archived topic from Iceteks,  old topic ID:2393, old post ID:22477[/size][/color]
Red Squirrel

TURING

Post by Red Squirrel »

Furball wrote: I always wanted to go up to one of the teachers, show them some java code and tell them to explain what it does :P .
That would be fun! :lol: Actually I never programmed java before, but I assume the syntax is like java script, which is like C++ so I could maybe possibly make out what it does.

Assembly, now that's a different story.

Code: Select all

dosseg
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
hello_message db 'Hello, World!',0dh,0ah,'$'

.code
main  proc
      mov    ax,@data
      mov    ds,ax

mov    ah,9
      mov    dx,offset hello_message
      int    21h

mov    ax,4C00h
      int    21h
main  endp
end   main
[code]

:biglaugh:  

[color=#888888][size=85]Archived topic from Iceteks,  old topic ID:2393, old post ID:22482[/size][/color]