Longhorn recommened system specs

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
manadren_it

Post by manadren_it »

linky

microsft-watch.com has an article up about how Longhorn is getting the spotlight at the upcoming WinHEC conference (woohoo), but of note it mentions the recommended "average" system specifications for the operating system due to come out in 2006.

Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today.
I think it's time to remind people that linux will run on a 386.

I know it ain't coming out until 2006 and hardware and software will have likely progressed a lot by then... but damn! What the bloody hell is in that thing?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19462
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
jamslam

Post by jamslam »

I highly doubt it.

Don't trust anything you hear about Microsoft unless they make an official statement.

For even two years from now, that's a huge requirement. It would also be a horrible market move, as not too many computers will be able to run it. We are just getting into 3GHz processors, we most likely won't get into 4GHz until at least a year from now.

Anywho, those requirement *may be* met by the best machines out at that time. However, I wouldn't trust it unless it comes directly from Microsoft as an official statement.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19466
manadren_it

Post by manadren_it »

jamslam wrote: I highly doubt it.

Don't trust anything you hear about Microsoft unless they make an official statement.

For even two years from now, that's a huge requirement. It would also be a horrible market move, as not too many computers will be able to run it. We are just getting into 3GHz processors, we most likely won't get into 4GHz until at least a year from now.

Anywho, those requirement *may be* met by the best machines out at that time. However, I wouldn't trust it unless it comes directly from Microsoft as an official statement.
Well supposedly microsoft watch is a pretty reliable source, but I guess we'll find out the truth after the conference, which shouldn't be too far away. But a lot of advances can happen in two years, just look at the past 2 years. Though I think longhorn will be forcing a lot of windows users to upgrade. I don't think the average PC will have those specs when longhorn comes out, but I don't think that will be the ultra high end either. Secondly you know how releases dates can be with software, I'm not saying MS doesn't rush things, but even they have their limits as to how much. You won't know when longhorn's going to be released until it's almost done.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19471
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

longhorn is scarry, just the things I hear about it such as the fact that it will take over your computer and not let you install much etc... now all these requirements... that`s insane. 1TB of storage? That would be like 2 grand overhere just in hard drives, and I doubt they will ever get that big individually so for the raid equipment add another few hundreds at least. If a FPS can be made in less then 1MB, I`m sure microsoft can sacrifice a bit of effort to make an OS that takes less then a GB. But I guess I`d have to speak for linux on that one, which also takes a bloody ammount of hdd space, well most decent distros anyway. But at least it`s features and not bugs. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19476
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
ladytech

Post by ladytech »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1586601,00.asp

There are even screen shots of the new OS at the bottom of the article.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19527
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Sounds like it will be kind of cool, but with requirements like that not sure if all those features are really needed. But the most scarry part is the whole DMCA thing, but there are so many rumors going around about long horn I'll simply have to wait and see how it is before deciding to not use it.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19529
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
manadren_it

Post by manadren_it »

ladytech wrote: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1586601,00.asp

There are even screen shots of the new OS at the bottom of the article.
Thanks for the link.

The new interface does look kinda spify, but at the same time, it look slike the winXP Fisher-Price effect got kicked up a notch as well. Why does everything have to be so bloody big and candy coated? Not to mention all the big bright menus which provided easy access to all your favorite (microsoft) programs in an oversimplified manner.

... I'm going to need to switch to Linux pretty soon.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2291, old post ID:19531