Virtual Machine

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

Virtual Machine

Post by Red Squirrel »

Not sure if anyone has worked with this before but it's pretty cool.

Basically you can create a Virtual Machine environment and boot off a CD/floppy and install an OS. If you go full screen it's just like the real thing. You can have several OSes running at once, and as far as I know it's true emulation and you can network them. I use it at work since I'm testing a a new software we'll deploy over a novell network so I created my own mini Novell network.

Really cool how it works. Just figured I'd share in case anyone is bored and wants something to do, try out that app. It's not free though....

Oh, and it's actually pretty fast, only time it gets slow is if you're running like 5 OSes at once using up most of the memory (you can allowcate the memory for each VM). Windows XP is such a hog though, the minute I start that up everything is super slow. But it's a hog on a real PC so it does not help to run it in a shared resource environment. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:30288

Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
loverfromthedead

Virtual Machine

Post by loverfromthedead »

Oh dude, thats awesome! I'm currrently using a crappy Windows 2000 so I don't really want to screw this thing up any more, but when I get my ibook just in time for *highschool yay!* I'll look into that more :)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:30543

nothing is as good as thin feels...
Red Squirrel

Virtual Machine

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually win2k is great. I don't even know if VM would run in XP, since XP alone eats up most of the ram, so there would not be much left for any VM installs, well unless you only use it for win98 or lower. Well I managed to put XP on a VM so you could probably put 2000 on a VM if it's running in XP. Basically you have to consider the ram/cpu requirements of your current OS + the one you will run in the VM.

But if you allowcate the memory properly you can have like 5 Oses running. I had win98, 2k, XP and 2k server + the host OS running, on less then 1Gig of ram, at work. It was slow, but usable. For some reason I find VM slower at home even though I have a faster processor and more ram. But I think intel's are known to be better at multitasking, and it's a P4 at work while I have an athlon. Then again, I put UD in my VMs which uses 100% of the cpu. :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:30571
sintekk

Virtual Machine

Post by sintekk »

There's a reason Intels are better at multitasking, Hyperthreading. Seeing as I'm an AMD guy, I can't go into the nitty gritty on it, but it basically creates several 'virtual processors'. You should look it up :)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:30612
Red Squirrel

Virtual Machine

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah that would help make it faster, not sure if this one has hyperthreading though, but probably does.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:30619
MadGhigno

Virtual Machine

Post by MadGhigno »

I use VMWare Workstation. It exists fro both Windows and Linux.
In my linux box I can start a W2K or a WinXP machine :)

With 1,5Gb of RAM a started three VMs running

- Redhat AS 2.1 with an instance of Oracle 9i
- Debian 3.0 running two jakarta tomcats in cluster adn one instance of Jboss
- Windows Server 2003 running IIS 6.0

it is very stable ad the performance of the single VMs are great

bye
MadGhigno

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:31230
signature for rent
Red Squirrel

Virtual Machine

Post by Red Squirrel »

It's incredible how it really does create a true emulation environment. I even managed a BSOD without it affecting my real system at all.

I don't know how my customers do it, I don't even have half the spyware so far and finding it horrible to get around online.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:31241
sintekk

Virtual Machine

Post by sintekk »

You know people that still use Win 98? o_O

They must be the kind of people that shop at walmart :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:31249
Red Squirrel

Virtual Machine

Post by Red Squirrel »

99% of my customers run win98 or winme. And wallmart is the biggest store here so most people shop there. :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2044, old post ID:31252