HELP!

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

I am in the process of making my first pc but i'm having some trouble (of course)

I am starting it up the first time, and i get the message "no input signal" on my monitor. the whole thing is getting power. I've tested the monitor and it works fine.

my computer has:
MSI K8T Neo2 MOBO (for socket 939 processor)
AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 3400 processor
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256 MB grafix card

I have tried using a different grafix card that i know is in working condition, and i am out of ideas.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20934
megaspaz

HELP!

Post by megaspaz »

OLKMED wrote: I am in the process of making my first pc but i'm having some trouble (of course)

I am starting it up the first time, and i get the message "no input signal" on my monitor. the whole thing is getting power. I've tested the monitor and it works fine.

my computer has:
MSI K8T Neo2 MOBO (for socket 939 processor)
AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 3400 processor
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256 MB grafix card

I have tried using a different grafix card that i know is in working condition, and i am out of ideas.
have you tried the cable connecting the monitor to your computer?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20944
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
Red Squirrel

HELP!

Post by Red Squirrel »

Is the internal speaker working? (does it beep at least once or something?) If not make sure it is, since maybe something else such as the ram is not properly seated which would cause the monitor to not "turn on". (as in, not getting a signal)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20945
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!

HELP!

Post by 000 »

Reset/clear the bios. Check to see if there is a junper to do this.
I would still unplug the machinefrom the wall, remove the COMS battery, push the power button as if you are trying to start the PC, then put the CMOS battery back in. Now try to boot the machine.

Give it a try..

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20965
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

I looked at everything and i'm pretty sure everything's seated correctly, but i'll check again.
I set the jumper to CLEAR so it the bios should be reset.
Can you give me some more details on how to remove the battery?
i'm new to the insides of a computer so i could use some pointers.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20991

HELP!

Post by 000 »

OK. I received a MB from a friend for free and I am grateful. When I got it the CLEAR BIOS jumper was set on CLEAR BIOS. So It would not boot. Strange, I've never had that before. So check you manual and make sure it is not on clear bios. You only put it on CLEAR bios to clear the bios, then you put it back to normal.

Now the COMS battery looks like a big watch battery, Flat, Round and silver.Pry it out. wait for a few. hit the power button on the PC as if you were starting it up. Why? To discharge any residual stored electricity. It makes a different folks, I've seen it. I've done it and seen the power LED flash slightly. Then replace it. It should just snap back in.
Then try to boot the PC.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20993
odders

HELP!

Post by odders »

Call tech support.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:20997
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

ok i cleared the bios and then set it back to keep bios, that was my problem, but now i'm encountering a different one.

I boot up my computer it evaluates itself (power on self test process) says it has a GeForce 5200 grafics card what not (but it says it only has 256 RAM when the chip is a 512, hmmm), then it displays the MSI logo, the manual says that it should show a screen with options for setup, boot menu, network boot, logo but it doesn't

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21057

HELP!

Post by 000 »

Sounds like your trying to get into the bios. There you can set boot options blah blah blah.
On most PC's you'll see it at the bottom left hand part of your screen after the post.
It should say something like press f2 or f1 or del or f11 for setup. They flash pretty quick now on the faster PC's. Keep yer eyes peeled. ;)
Once you get into the bios, you should be able to change boot options.....that's if that's what you want to do.

How does windoes report the video card? 256MB or 512MB?

GO here> Belarc
and download the free version of Balarc Advisor. It will inspect and report the hardware in your PC. See how that program reports the video card.

Oh, I forgot to ask. Is the PC booting into Wondows?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21071
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

No i haven't installed windows yet, it's in the mail :angry:

but there's a setting for the agp slot and i need to make sure it is set for 8x, maybe it would do that automatically, i'm not sure

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21103

HELP!

Post by 000 »

I'm pretty sure that 8x will be the default.
I'd hang on till you install the os.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21126
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

Alright thanks a lot

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21132
fcbayer

HELP!

Post by fcbayer »

i have some what a question of the same relations
so i have all ready installed a 250 GB hard drive as a slave what do i need to upgrade to support the hard drive

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21142
The Gheyness

HELP!

Post by The Gheyness »

Fcbayer, if you're using XP you'll need at least SP1 or you'll need an ATA adapter card.

OLKMED, I have that same motherboard with an A64 3000+ and I can tell you that there's some kind of problem with video and/or the AGP slot on it...I had similar problems when setting it up.

Tell me what it says when it displays that MSI logo...anything? I remember when I first booted after installing all the hardware there was an initial screen that I had to pretty much disable in order to go to a proper boot up.

Also, you'll want to flash your BIOS either after you get that running or before if you still can't get it to work. I had to make a batch file w/ startup disk in order to flash my BIOS since the board didn't recognize my chip. (I got one of the newer socket 939, 90nm processors)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21170
I'm not adopted and I'm not an Indian.
It's just a coincidence that I have
a love of gambling and booze
and a knack for catching syphilis.
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

Yeah now i'm having some different difficulties, in order to start up my pc i have to set the jumper to what the manual says is the CLEAR BIOS spot everytime i start it (meaning i have to take it out and put it back in the same spot) i have no idea why. when i put it where the manual says is the keep bios spot my computer won't start, not even a whirr of a fan

second i installed windows and it is working fine, i then installed the sims 2, it loaded VERY quickly (whoo hoo) but as soon as i clicked on the family to actually start playing the game the monitor said "no signal" and the music stopped playing shortly after, I restarted my computer (after pulling out and putting the jumper back in the same place) and windows gave me a message that said the unexpected crash was because of a driver failure. Maybe there is a patch for this driver on the Nvidia website??

:frustrated:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21212
Chyse

HELP!

Post by Chyse »

yeah, make sure the monitor is plugged into the pc unit. that would fudge it up. i've seen that signal before. when my dad and i were building our computer. make sure that connection is there. and yeah install freaking windows. prefferably windows xp it is easy.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21243
"Your neighbor was kind enough to let us rip him off and burn his furniture for no reason."-ATHF
"He said no, Err. With his foot." -ATHF
"Please, stop fueling my silent rage." -ATHF
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

ok so i've been putting it in the keep bios spot (the manual has the picture upside down ::/ ) but every time i start up my computer i have to pull out the jumper and put it back in the same spot. as it is booting up it says no bios are intalled and i have just used the defualt settings and it boots windows.

when i play a video game i get to where the video will be demanding, and then the monitor displays "no signal could be detected." The sound goes out soon after and then i have just restarted my computer.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21271

HELP!

Post by 000 »

fcbayer wrote: so i have all ready installed a 250 GB hard drive as a slave what do i need to upgrade to support the hard drive
How old is the PC.
I'd start with a bios upgrade.
XP SP1.
If that doesn't work. An ATA controller card will do it..

OLKMED wrote: Yeah now i'm having some different difficulties, in order to start up my pc i have to set the jumper to what the manual says is the CLEAR BIOS spot everytime i start it (meaning i have to take it out and put it back in the same spot) i have no idea why. when i put it where the manual says is the keep bios spot my computer won't start, not even a whirr of a fan
Not sure. What is the wattage of your power supply and what brand is it?

OLKMED wrote: second i installed windows and it is working fine, i then installed the sims 2, it loaded VERY quickly (whoo hoo) but as soon as i clicked on the family to actually start playing the game the monitor said "no signal" and the music stopped playing shortly after, I restarted my computer (after pulling out and putting the jumper back in the same place) and windows gave me a message that said the unexpected crash was because of a driver failure. Maybe there is a patch for this driver on the Nvidia website??
Is this with the Windows64 beta OS?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21273
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

my power supply is a rosewill 450

and no, this is professional xp
i tried downloading the newest driver from the Nvidia website and i installed it, but this problem still continues....

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21282
The Gheyness

HELP!

Post by The Gheyness »

Can you try out another video card on this pc?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21286
I'm not adopted and I'm not an Indian.
It's just a coincidence that I have
a love of gambling and booze
and a knack for catching syphilis.

HELP!

Post by 000 »

Do you have a spare power supply to swap out and test? Maybe taking the power supply out of another machine and putting it in the new build just to see if it's the power supply. It might not have enough guts to power that video card. Don't let the 450W fool you. That's a budget power supply. That's where i'd start. mt 2 cents. ;)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21290
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

hhhhmmmm i'll try both those things :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21347
OLKMED

HELP!

Post by OLKMED »

what do you think is the least wattage that i could use to power my system? i'm not sure if this one is powerful enough

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21414

HELP!

Post by 000 »

I'm not so much concerned about the wattage as I am about the quality of the power supply. 450watts should be plenty. 350 would probably be enough. I've had cheap power supplies do weird things from hardware failure to strange software glitches. Now when I buy a power suppy, I spend a little extra for a good one.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21430
fcbayer

HELP!

Post by fcbayer »

I need recommendations as to what component I should upgrade. My computer specifications are as follows:

Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz
256 MB RAM
250 GB/40 GB HDD
(Video card not disclosed because I don't play games anyway)
Emachines

Thanks for any suggestions.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1584, old post ID:21454