MSN Search vs. Google

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
MadGhigno

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by MadGhigno »

What do you think about the new search engine from Microsoft ?

bye
MadGhigno

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16638
signature for rent
sintekk

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by sintekk »

I still think it's :censored:. Google has a bunch of handy tools (like the Google News) that MSN doesn't have.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16640
MadGhigno

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by MadGhigno »

sintekk wrote: I still think it's :censored:. Google has a bunch of handy tools (like the Google News) that MSN doesn't have.
you're right, but think that it is still in beta, Google working since 1996 but my question is doy you think that MS can beat Google as they do with Netscape ?

bye
MadGhigno

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16642
signature for rent
sintekk

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by sintekk »

Ah, in that aspect, I do think Microsoft will 'incorporate' it's search tech into the operating system somehow, and I do think they will get a sizeable chunk of the market, but I don't think they'll overtake google.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16643
manadren

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by manadren »

Don't overlook the power of an assload of money and questionable business practices. I think we're going to have a a bitter fight on our hands. I hope MS won't overtake google, but they just may, and if they do, we'll probably see another anti-trust suit following...

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16646
Red Squirrel

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by Red Squirrel »

Maybe it's time for webmasters to get together and block their bots before the fight starts. It would only work if tons of webmasters would do so, though. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by blocking the bot if msn does get successfull.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16654
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
sintekk

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by sintekk »

I wouldn't block the bots, I would like the free exposure :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16655
Red Squirrel

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah but if everyone blocks them, they'll have a crappy index. But like I said, everyone has to do it. Almost impossible to make happen, and you don't want to block it unless everyone else does. :lol:

Actually I hardly see the bot on my site, I seen it do a full crawl like a year ago and that's about it. I'll have to check my logs to see if it did in fact go on after.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16657
manadren

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by manadren »

I don't know how well that would work. There have already been reports of MS could be sniffing through google's search results...

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16663
Red Squirrel

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by Red Squirrel »

manadren wrote: I don't know how well that would work. There have already been reports of MS could be sniffing through google's search results...
Hmm talk about ethical practises by a ethical company. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16665
megaspaz

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by megaspaz »

it seems fine. at least they finally stopped banning XFree and X from the search results. and the result order from the 2 search engines are pretty close. although, Google get's searching for 'X Windows' right. funny to see MS in the search results on something that has nothing to do with Windows. tells me, the ms search engine still isn't as refined as google's. I wouldn't use msn search anyways. don't know if they've seen the errors of their ways from before and made searching the first priority as opposed pro-msn/pro-msn-advertisers having first priority in the search results.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16667
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
fcbayer

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by fcbayer »

stupid question what is the purpose of Gmail?
never understood it
you already have yahoo hotmail and excite
:huh:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16906
manadren

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by manadren »

Brand extension mainly, I would guess anyway, though leave it to google to figure out a way to make money off free webmail. Anyway, the idea is that if you get your email at google, you'll be more likely to use google's other services as well, since you're already there checking you email. Not to mention it helps embed the brand in your brain [as if it wasn't there already].

On a more personal note, gmail offers a nicer interface, some cool features, less intrusive ads, and more space than the other guys. And it's from google [which is enough for some people]. Whether that's enough to make you want to switch is your judgment call.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16913
sintekk

MSN Search vs. Google

Post by sintekk »

fcbayer wrote: stupid question what is the purpose of Gmail?
1 gig of space. I'll never fill that up with emails, so guess what I do with that 1 gig of space? I got a shell extension for my computer and store mp3s and stuff on it so I can access it anywhere :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1304, old post ID:16914