recompiling php

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

recompiling php

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm trying to install something but I get this error:
* Horde will not run without gettext support. Compile php --with-gettext before continuing.

How in the world do I pull that off without screwing up anything? Is there a way to just "add" that module without actually recompiling it? I don't really have good luck when it comes to this sort of thing. I thought of just upgrading to php 5 but since I use my server for development I can't really use a version that's too new since I might end up making stuff that does not work on older versions.

So how do I compile php --with=gettext? Is reinstalling the only solution?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:14943
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
megaspaz

recompiling php

Post by megaspaz »

Red Squirrel wrote: I'm trying to install something but I get this error:
* Horde will not run without gettext support. Compile php --with-gettext before continuing.

How in the world do I pull that off without screwing up anything? Is there a way to just "add" that module without actually recompiling it? I don't really have good luck when it comes to this sort of thing. I thought of just upgrading to php 5 but since I use my server for development I can't really use a version that's too new since I might end up making stuff that does not work on older versions.

So how do I compile php --with=gettext? Is reinstalling the only solution?
that's a ./configure option -> ./configure --with-gettext

i don't know about a module. maybe something like this will help.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=g...ule&btnG=Search

but don't be surprised if you need to recompile and reinstall php or upgrade to the newest version php.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:14951
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
Red Squirrel

recompiling php

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm that's what I was afraid to hear. Since only way really is to format. I could probably install it over the curent installation but I'm sure in the end time I'll run into problems by doing that, especially if I don't shut it off properly. Do I just have to shut down apache to turn off php? But thankfully in the phpinfo() it shows the configure string, so I don't have to worry about trying to figure out what I put, I can just copy and paste that, and I guess I just append --with-gettext to that string right? Does the order matter?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:14954
megaspaz

recompiling php

Post by megaspaz »

Red Squirrel wrote: Hmm that's what I was afraid to hear.  Since only way really is to format.  I could probably install it over the curent installation but I'm sure in the end time I'll run into problems by doing that, especially if I don't shut it off properly.  Do I just have to shut down apache to turn off php?  But thankfully in the phpinfo() it shows the configure string, so I don't have to worry about trying to figure out what I put, I can just copy and paste that, and I guess I just append --with-gettext to that string right?  Does the order matter?
i don't know of any problems you might have with installing over a current installation of php. i do know apache has an installation problem when installing over a current installation of apache. so running into problems after installing over a current php installation is possible. options in the ./configure script don't have to be in any particular order.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:14960
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
Red Squirrel

recompiling php

Post by Red Squirrel »

So before I do the format, is there maybe an easy way to uninstall php, instead of clean installing? But I think I'll wait till my hard drive comes in so I can do an image of all data, I don't trust myself installing linux on a hard drive that has important data, since partitions in linux don't have names or drive letters, so I might pick the wrong one to format during installation.

Linux still needs to come up with a better way to manage installation of software though. It's rediculous that it has to be this complicated.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:14964
closet geek

recompiling php

Post by closet geek »

Red Squirrel wrote: So before I do the format, is there maybe an easy way to uninstall php, instead of clean installing?  But I think I'll wait till my hard drive comes in so I can do an image of all data, I don't trust myself installing linux on a hard drive that has important data, since partitions in linux don't have names or drive letters, so I might pick the wrong one to format during installation.

Linux still needs to come up with a better way to manage installation of software though.  It's rediculous that it has to be this complicated.
Quit worrying Red just configure PHP with those options :nana:

I've had to configure PHP a load of times for NH, it works sweetly everytime. My configure string atm:

'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-xml' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-exif' '--with-swf=/usr/local/flash' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-gettext' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mhash' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mysql' '--with-openssl' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pear' '--with-pspell' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-versioning' '--enable-wddx' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-zip' '--with-zlib'

be thankful I can almost guarantee you wont have to get as many things working as I do on a production server :P

You might be able to get away with not doing a full compile anyway try this:

export PHP_PREFIX="/usr"

$PHP_PREFIX/bin/phpize

./configure --with-gettext

No guarantee it'll work.

Were you worried about restarting apache? It's really painless man :P

service httpd restart

cg

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:18907
Red Squirrel

recompiling php

Post by Red Squirrel »

closet geek wrote:
Red Squirrel wrote: So before I do the format, is there maybe an easy way to uninstall php, instead of clean installing?  But I think I'll wait till my hard drive comes in so I can do an image of all data, I don't trust myself installing linux on a hard drive that has important data, since partitions in linux don't have names or drive letters, so I might pick the wrong one to format during installation.

Linux still needs to come up with a better way to manage installation of software though.  It's rediculous that it has to be this complicated.
Quit worrying Red just configure PHP with those options :nana:

I've had to configure PHP a load of times for NH, it works sweetly everytime. My configure string atm:

'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-xml' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-exif' '--with-swf=/usr/local/flash' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-gettext' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mhash' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mysql' '--with-openssl' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pear' '--with-pspell' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-versioning' '--enable-wddx' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-zip' '--with-zlib'

be thankful I can almost guarantee you wont have to get as many things working as I do on a production server :P

You might be able to get away with not doing a full compile anyway try this:

export PHP_PREFIX="/usr"

$PHP_PREFIX/bin/phpize

./configure --with-gettext

No guarantee it'll work.

Were you worried about restarting apache? It's really painless man :P

service httpd restart

cg

Holy crap that's a huge configure string. How do you know all this stuff? i have no clue what any of those even mean and the help files are not really helpful about that.

Though this is an old thread and I got around the problem - Installed squirrelmail instead, no need for a recompile.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:1182, old post ID:18940