What am I missing here?

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

This sounds to good to be true----

Opinions??

Always wanted to own a website? Now you can own one without all the expense. Register today and receive your domain name and hosting service for only $9.99 contact info@dhinternational.net or http://www.dhinternational.net for more details or order below.

ALL THIS FOR ONLY $9.99/w DOMAIN!

ORDER NOW!
Disk Space
50 MB
Data Transfer (Monthly)
2 GB
Email Features
Email Accounts
Web Based Email
Yes
Account Forwarding
Yes
Autoresponder
Yes
Catch All Email
Yes
Mailing List
Yes
Email Filter
Yes
Email Aliases
Yes
Spam Assassin
Yes
Domains
Hosted Domains/Websites
Sub Domains
None
Parked Domains
None
Dedicated IP Address
Add-On
Software Support
CGI-BIN
Yes
Perl
Yes
PHP w/Zend Optimizer
Yes
Python
Yes
Imagemagick / GD
Yes
Server Side Includes (SSI)
Yes
Frontpage Extensions
Yes
Database
MySQL
phpMyAdmin / phpPgAdmin
Yes
E-Commerce
osCommerce Shopping Cart
Yes
Agora Shopping Cart
Yes
Shared SSL Certificate
Free
Private SSL Certificate
Add-On
Web Statistics
AWstats
Yes
Webalizer
Yes
Raw Access Logs
Yes
Bandwidth Meter
Yes
Multimedia
Real Audio/Video
Yes
Shockwave/Flash
Yes
Windows Media
Yes
Website Control
24x7 FTP Account
Anonymous FTP
Yes
Control Panel
cPanel
Web File Manager
Yes
Pre-Installed Scripts
Fantastico
Yes
CGI-Center
Yes
Website Builder
Free
Advanced Options
Custom Error Pages
Yes
Cron Jobs
Yes
Password Protected Dir
Yes
URL Redirects
Yes
MIME Types
Yes
Apache Handlers
Yes
Hot Link Protection
Yes
Leech Protect
Yes
Backups
Daily
Support
Helpdesk Support
24x7
Server Specifications
CPU (minimum)
2GHz
Memory (Minimum)
1024 MB
Operating System
RHE Linux
Pricing
Setup Fee
$0.00
Monthly Cost
$0.83
Annual Cost
$9.99 ($0.83/mo)

ORDER NOW!
:blink:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34033
jellyfish

What am I missing here?

Post by jellyfish »

This is what I get for £9.99 per year: click here to see the package.

Price wise your deal looks like you'll be getting what you pay for- but ask about the domain name as it could just be a sub-domain on their site in which case you are better going else where.

You could ask on: http://www.webhostingtalk.com to see what they think though.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34035
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Well that's decent to consider the domain is included, but what are you going to do with 50MB and 2GB of transfer? Iceteks alone is over 100MB, and that's not counting the data in the database. :D (using a total 662.21MB on my hosting package right now) And on my curent hosting package I have a couple other sites as well. 2GB transder ain't bad for starters but it will be quickly outgrown. 13GB used so far this month for Iceteks.

So really, I think the domain itself is $9.99 and the hosting is free, and there might be other hidden catches too. I'm paying a bit over(depends on exchange rate at the time) $20/month for Iceteks hosting and I have lot of room to expand which is nice. Once I outgrow this package though, dedicated will be my only choice probably.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34036
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

I get that--BUT-

This is $9.99 PER YEAR where you are paying $240 per year :eek:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34039
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Oh per year? hmm there definately has to be some kind of catch to that though. Chances are they're leasing the server (note lack of s) cheap or something, since any typical company would go bankrupt at that price without making the server overcrowded.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34045
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

Red Squirrel wrote: Oh per year? hmm there definately has to be some kind of catch to that though. Chances are they're leasing the server (note lack of s) cheap or something, since any typical company would go bankrupt at that price without making the server overcrowded.
As you have nothing to do-------------

How about going to their site ( the link is in the first post) -examine the policys & offers in detail & report back to me? :handintest:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34049
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

WELL RED????????????

I'm still waiting for you to check this out for me-----

So if I get this and it sucks I have someone to blame. :biglaugh:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34982
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

well I'm happy with my curent setup so not ready to switch. My next move is a dedicated server, and I'm far from needing one yet.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34984
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

Red Squirrel wrote: well I'm happy with my curent setup so not ready to switch. My next move is a dedicated server, and I'm far from needing one yet.
SIgh--------------

HELLO???------------

I wanted you to check this out for me--to see if its worthwhile ----$9.95 a year

REFER TO THE PREVIOUS POSTS

SIGH :rolleyes:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34986
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

for that price I would just try it, if it sucks well it's only 10 bucks. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34987
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

Red Squirrel wrote: for that price I would just try it, if it sucks well it's only 10 bucks. :lol:
SIGH______________

What if I only have $10 to my name??

Then it's not "just $10 bucks"---is it?? :blink:

lol :biglaugh:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34988
manadren_it

What am I missing here?

Post by manadren_it »

Looking at the spelling errors on their website, and the fact that when you search for "dhinternational" on google -this post- is in the first 10 results. My guess would be that this company was started recently. This means that while the deal is probably legit, the company doesn't have their feet on the ground yet and you're probably in for a wild ride if you sign up with these guys. But that's just my opinion.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34989
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah and who knows what the uptime is like. My first hosting company (rcthost) had bad uptime, but that's only something you find out once you sign up. Though bigger and more reputable companies usually have reviews you can find, and I would stick with those ones.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34990
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

manadren wrote: Looking at the spelling errors on their website, and the fact that when you search for "dhinternational" on google -this post- is in the first 10 results. My guess would be that this company was started recently. This means that while the deal is probably legit, the company doesn't have their feet on the ground yet and you're probably in for a wild ride if you sign up with these guys. But that's just my opinion.
That s interesting about the spelling-I'll have to look for that and the first link in the google search says they've been in bussiness since 1997.

But yet Google only sees 446 links------------ :grade11math:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34991
manadren_it

What am I missing here?

Post by manadren_it »

Well the first like does say they have been in business since 1997, but the first link is also the dhinternational website. Again, not to say they are lying, but they probably only worked locally until recently.

It's your money, and $10 a year is very cheap. Not exactly a fortune to lose if things turn out bad. But the lack of available information about this company makes me nervous.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34994
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

manadren wrote: Well the first like does say they have been in business since 1997, but the first link is also the dhinternational website. Again, not to say they are lying, but they probably only worked locally until recently.

It's your money, and $10 a year is very cheap. Not exactly a fortune to lose if things turn out bad. But the lack of available information about this company makes me nervous.
YEAH______________

Plus I sent their support a question regarding payment methods & marked it high priority (thru their online request form)

about 3 days ago-------no answer.

Then I clicked on a link they sent me in an email---and---it went into a server error!

I just don't want to pick a domain name & then want to leave & can't.

I found out that after you sign up for Microsoft Live Office & get their free site they won't release your domain for 60 days after you cancel :handintest:

F___ THEM! :o

Now I'm looking at the basic plan HERE

They claim 1000mb of disk space & unlimited bandwidth & autoresponders.

What are 'add on domains & sub domains??

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34995
manadren_it

What am I missing here?

Post by manadren_it »

I did a quick google search on webhost4life, and what I saw was a mix of rave reviews and big time slams. Which tells me... not a lot. The angry tend to be the loudest, and with any company of significant size, a handful are going to run into some bad luck. But just because they are angry doesn't mean they don't have a point. I think it's worth a try though. For the price you are paying, it's worth the chance. Just make sure to read the fine print, and always keep your own backups in addition to anything the host does, just in case something goes wrong, or you need to jump ship :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34997
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah that goes with any hosting company. ALWAYS keep backups on your local machine, and dont forget to backup stuff like mysql databsase. Files are easy, as you just need to keep a local copy of your site, and upload as you make changes, so no backing up to do as it's already up to date.

But decent hosting companies usually have backups, though most have a policy that they cant be held liable for your data and that you should do your own backups, and that I agree with. It's easier to backup your own data, then it is to backup someone elses.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34998
Chris Vogel

What am I missing here?

Post by Chris Vogel »

richardj wrote: They claim 1000mb of disk space & unlimited bandwidth & autoresponders.
Keep in mind that there is always a limit on data transfer, or “bandwidth” as Web hosting companies insist on calling it. Having massive amounts of data transfer would probably constitute system abuse, especially if you are serving dynamic content.
http://www.webhost4life.com/termsconditions.asp wrote:
System Abuse - Includes, but is not limited to, excessive use of CPU resources or disk space, installing IRC bots, excessive use of resources leading to the decrease of the system's performance or other CGI scripts that use a disproportionate amount of system resources. UMA will determine what constitutes system abuse.
This bothers me:
http://www.webhost4life.com/termsconditions.asp wrote: Adult Content - Sites containing adult material, links to adult material, or adult-oriented merchandise must be approved by UMA. The final determination of what constitutes "adult content" is made by UMA.
That disgusts me, but you may have a different opinion. As you may know, restrictions on adult content are quite common in the Web hosting world.

I notice that they provide a domain. Be extremely careful. Make sure you have ownership, not the Web host. Some no-good Web hosts will register the domain in their name and refuse to transfer it if you ever change Web hosts.
richardj wrote: What are 'add on domains & sub domains??
An add-on domain is a domain that points to a subdirectory on your Web site. It basically allows you to host two different Web sites on the same hosting plan. For example, Red may wish to start an anti-Canadian Web site, but he may not want to buy a new hosting plan. Therefore, he creates a subdirectory within iceteks.com. Let’s say he picks iceteks.com/ihatecanada. Red can then get an add-on domain to point to iceteks.com/ihatecanada. Let’s say he picks ihatecanada.fake. Everytime people request http://ihatecanada.fake, they will actually get http://iceteks.com/ihatecanada. They’ll never know that though.

Subdomains come before the domain in the URL. They’re a way to organise your site.

DOMAIN.COM
SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN.COM

For a real-world example, look at http://squirrelbbs.iceteks.com/. “iceteks.com” is the domain, and “squirrelbbs” is the subdomain. Red could add forums.iceteks.com, help.iceteks.com, etc. if he wanted.

DreamHost is hot right now. I’ve heard great reviews and bad reviews, but I haven’t tried it personally. I think I’m actually going to go with NearlyFreeSpeech.NET. It’s not very feature-rich, but I don’t really need that many features. I’m utterly turned on by their policies.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:34999
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm never thought of that about the domain, I could see companies do that, register it as their own name, so it's not actually yours.

This would screw you over since if you change host and have an established site, you cant keep the domain.

Oh and add on domains can actually mean you can point another domain to your site. Ex: with this host I have a bunch of add on domains. http://www.iceteks.net http://www.iceteks.org http://www.iceteks.biz http://www.iceteks.us http://www.iceteks.info. I still need to get .ca..... lol

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:35001
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

Tak wrote:
An add-on domain is a domain that points to a subdirectory on your Web site.  It basically allows you to host two different Web sites on the same hosting plan.  For example, Red may wish to start an anti-Canadian Web site, but he may not want to buy a new hosting plan.  Therefore, he creates a subdirectory within iceteks.com.  Let’s say he picks iceteks.com/ihatecanada.  Red can then get an add-on domain to point to iceteks.com/ihatecanada.  Let’s say he picks ihatecanada.fake.  Everytime people request http://ihatecanada.fake, they will actually get http://iceteks.com/ihatecanada.  They’ll never know that though.

Subdomains come before the domain in the URL.  They’re a way to organise your site.

DOMAIN.COM
SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN.COM

For a real-world example, look at http://squirrelbbs.iceteks.com/.  “iceteks.com” is the domain, and “squirrelbbs” is the subdomain.  Red could add forums.iceteks.com, help.iceteks.com, etc. if he wanted.
Thank you for your post-it's quite informative & thanks for taking the time to look at their terms & conditions---I never even thought about that.

( I only have an IQ of 124--DOH!) :blink:

Any way-I'm confused about the addon/sub domain thing.

Why not just make it icetecks.comsquirrelbbs ?

What is gained by making it a subdomain vs. an addon? :grade11math:

But either way that hosting site allows :

Multiple Domains To Your Site unlimited

Sub Domain Names unlimited

And I think it was like $9.95 one time cost I could add an ecomerce site

and sell you all nick-nacks. :biglaugh:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:35005
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

manadren wrote: I did a quick google search on webhost4life, and what I saw was a mix of rave reviews and big time slams. Which tells me... not a lot. The angry tend to be the loudest, and with any company of significant size, a handful are going to run into some bad luck. But just because they are angry doesn't mean they don't have a point. I think it's worth a try though. For the price you are paying, it's worth the chance. Just make sure to read the fine print, and always keep your own backups in addition to anything the host does, just in case something goes wrong, or you need to jump ship :)

Thanks for looking--I use Google CONSTANTLY & didn't think of looking there.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:35006
richardj

What am I missing here?

Post by richardj »

<center>

Home | Forums | Articles | Downloads | Humor | UD

Computers
Hardware
Software
Games
Web Hosting
Web Design
Printers
Laptop
Memory
Weapons of mass destruction

404 File Not Found

The file /ihatecanada could not be found on the server! The file has either been moved, has flown off the disk platter, or has been confiscated by the US government in order to search it for weapons of mass destruction.

If you believe this is a fixable mistake (ex: broken link), please contact the webmaster. If you are looking for weapons of mass destruction, please use a search engine such as Google. </center> :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:35007
Red Squirrel

What am I missing here?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah that's a fun little "easter egg" I have on my 404 page. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4180, old post ID:35014