Perl Not being recognised

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
jellyfish

Post by jellyfish »

I just installed Perl because I needed it in order to install Darwin Streaming Server but now when I go to install Darwin Streaming Server I get the error pictured. I've tried re-installing perl but didn't have any luck- it seems to install itself ok but the .pl files open with notepad instead.

I'm using Windows 2003 Enterprise edition.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4054, old post ID:33268
Chris Vogel

Post by Chris Vogel »

I had problems with Perl last night! :lol:

I don’t know anything about Perl besides what it shares with PHP, but I can tell you what my problem was. Maybe that will help. :unsure:

My Perl script started with this:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl[code]

That is not the path to my Perl interpreter, so I had to change it to this:
[code]#!C:Program FilesUniform Serverdiskwusrinperl.exe[code]

Your path probably differs. 

[color=#888888][size=85]Archived topic from Iceteks,  old topic ID:4054, old post ID:33272[/size][/color]
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm perl issues under windows... *meditates* hmm can't seem to remember but I did have a problem in the past when I wanted to get perl working and my server was windows. I think it had to do with the path like Tak said, but there might of been something else. It might come to me.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4054, old post ID:33273
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Chris Vogel

Post by Chris Vogel »

Red Squirrel wrote: Hmm perl issues under windows...  *meditates* hmm can't seem to remember but I did have a problem in the past when I wanted to get perl working and my server was windows.  I think it had to do with the path like Tak said, but there might of been something else.  It might come to me.
Maybe you didn’t print the content-type header! That was my second mistake.

Code: Select all

print "Content-type: text/html

";[code] 

[color=#888888][size=85]Archived topic from Iceteks,  old topic ID:4054, old post ID:33276[/size][/color]
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm that might have been it, actually. Perl is actually a nice language to start off with since it lets you understand more what's going on. Php is nice since it does lot of that stuff for you. I regret not learning perl more, but I can always learn it one of these days.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4054, old post ID:33277
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!