Do you have an accent?

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Joe

Do you have an accent?

Post by Joe »

Do you have an accent? If so what is it :dance:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4230
Red Squirrel

Do you have an accent?

Post by Red Squirrel »

I have a slight accent when I talk english.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4238
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Joe

Do you have an accent?

Post by Joe »

When i leave the city people tell me i have a accent, i don't realize it though.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4239
Cisco_Kid

Do you have an accent?

Post by Cisco_Kid »

nothing naturally as I was born and raised in the Northwestern US but I have picked up traces of various ones (southern, new england type, etc) that creep into my speech with certain words.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4245
Started talking to yourself I see.
Yes, it was the only way I could be sure of an intelligent conversation

Blackadder
Anonymous

Do you have an accent?

Post by Anonymous »

Joe wrote: When i leave the city people tell me i have a accent, i don't realize it though.
Joe: oi'm goin tuh mek yoo an offer yoo ken't refoose. :lol:

Sorry, but New Yorkers has this thick accent, with a hint of Italian. I'm thinking New York may have been called New Italy if the English hadn't beaten the second Italians to colonize the US first.

I can just imagine...

Sir Walter Drake: What the :censored:?

Christopher Columbus: Yo, Adriunne!

:lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4251
Cicero

Do you have an accent?

Post by Cicero »

I have an Irish accent strangely enough but not one of them stereotypical "ah to be sure" leprechaun accents

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4266
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
shenbaw

Do you have an accent?

Post by shenbaw »

I have an accent I was never aware of untill moving from Northern Minnesota (kind of by Fargo, ND) down to St. Paul. Everyone points out my "northern" accent here, I'm sure if I ever moved out of the state it would be even more apparent. :ph34r:

And No, I don't, and not many people do sound like those morons in the movie Fargo. :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4270
Red Squirrel

Do you have an accent?

Post by Red Squirrel »

It's funny since if I go to quebec people tell me I have an English accent, but if I talk with people that are only English, they say I have a french accent. :lol: but Quebec french is different then Ontario french. Or should I say freedom? :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4272
MrSelf

Do you have an accent?

Post by MrSelf »

I was born in North Carolina and moved to Texas, ironically, NC has a similar accent to TX, just much less pronounsed. For the most part, I don't have much of an accent, but certain regional words tend to pull out certain regional accents.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4274
FloodG8-9595

Do you have an accent?

Post by FloodG8-9595 »

I have a plethora of accents... none of them are naturally born into me...

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4292
erolyn

Do you have an accent?

Post by erolyn »

I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, so I'm not really sure. Is there a midwestern accent?

I love guys with British accents, though. :wub:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4319
MrSelf

Do you have an accent?

Post by MrSelf »

erolyn wrote: I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, so I'm not really sure. Is there a midwestern accent?

I love guys with British accents, though.  :wub:
You know, I thougt british accents we're neat too until I had to sit by a group of British guys on the bus once. By the end of the trip, I wanted to gnash my brain out with my fingernails to make their nasally voices go away. Most of it sounded like jibberish! Much nicer in small doses I guess :blink:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4326
Joe

Do you have an accent?

Post by Joe »

William Wallace wrote: Joe:  oi'm goin tuh mek yoo an offer yoo ken't refoose. :lol:

Sorry, but New Yorkers has this thick accent, with a hint of Italian. 

:lol:
True, I'm Italian and it mixes with the New Yorker. It does sound like that, and everything is yelled.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4342
erolyn

Do you have an accent?

Post by erolyn »

MrSelf wrote: You know, I thougt british accents we're neat too until I had to sit by a group of British guys on the bus once. By the end of the trip, I wanted to gnash my brain out with my fingernails to make their nasally voices go away. Most of it sounded like jibberish! Much nicer in small doses I guess  :blink:
I went to summer camp a couple years back and one of the counselors in my cabin was from New Zealand. They talk so awesomely...after a week I found out she said all her "e"'s as "i"s...for example, "bed" becomes "bid", "red" sounds like "rid", etc. It was so cool.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4358
Anonymous

Do you have an accent?

Post by Anonymous »

MrSelf wrote: You know, I thougt british accents we're neat too until I had to sit by a group of British guys on the bus once. By the end of the trip, I wanted to gnash my brain out with my fingernails to make their nasally voices go away. Most of it sounded like jibberish! Much nicer in small doses I guess  :blink:
Scottish is much more raspy, though and not so nasal. I don't have a thick "OCH AYE LADDIE!" accent, just a light Scottish brogue with a spot of Irish mixed in.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4366
Anonymous

Do you have an accent?

Post by Anonymous »

Joe wrote: True, I'm Italian and it mixes with the New Yorker. It does sound like that,  and everything is yelled.
I hate that yelling :censored:. I went to New York once and almost punched an Eye-taly-on bloke in the face because of his constant yelling.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4367
Chris Vogel

Do you have an accent?

Post by Chris Vogel »

erolyn wrote: I went to summer camp a couple years back and one of the counselors in my cabin was from New Zealand. They talk so awesomely...after a week I found out she said all her "e"'s as "i"s...for example, "bed" becomes "bid", "red" sounds like "rid", etc. It was so cool.
Yes, I was watching a television show with a New Zealander. He sounded…interesting. :)

I like Scandinavian accents. :wub:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4383
erolyn

Do you have an accent?

Post by erolyn »

Tak wrote: Yes, I was watching a television show with a New Zealander.  He sounded…interesting.  :) 

I like Scandinavian accents.  :wub:

If you've got ANY of the Lord of the Rings DVDs, listen to Peter Jackson talk on the special features. They all sound exactly like that.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4386
MrSelf

Do you have an accent?

Post by MrSelf »

William Wallace wrote: Scottish is much more raspy, though and not so nasal.  I don't have a thick "OCH AYE LADDIE!" accent, just a light Scottish brogue with a spot of Irish mixed in.
yeah, it's the nasally sound that grates on your nerves! :wacko:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4394
Red Squirrel

Do you have an accent?

Post by Red Squirrel »

I find most americans have an accent. We had a few american preachers come to our church, but it's not really a big accent so it does not get annoying. Scotish accents are cool but I can imagine how it can get to you after a while. :D There was someone scotish that came in town for a bit and went to the internet cafe when I was doing my co-op. I did not know they actual wore the whole red/green dress thing. I thought it was only how it is in movies. :D He did not have any bag pipes though (probably left them in the car. :D)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4410
Anonymous

Do you have an accent?

Post by Anonymous »

Red Squirrel wrote: I find most americans have an accent.  We had a few american preachers come to our church, but it's not really a big accent so it does not get annoying.  Scotish accents are cool but I can imagine how it can get to you after a while. :D  There was someone scotish that came in town for a bit and went to the internet cafe when I was doing my co-op. I did not know they actual wore the whole red/green dress thing.  I thought it was only how it is in movies. :D  He did not have any bag pipes though (probably left them in the car. :D)
Probably did. We DO wear the kilt thing. But only when we're visting other countries or when tourists come to scotland. :lol:

One thing we love to do is to tell tourist to ask for a Wank at a bar. "it's a REALLY good beer." Then quietly follow them and watch them get thrown out. :D FUN!

A wank means a Hand Job, to masturbate.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4430
Red Squirrel

Do you have an accent?

Post by Red Squirrel »

hahahaha funny stuff.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4432
OLKMED

Do you have an accent?

Post by OLKMED »

erolyn wrote: I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, so I'm not really sure. Is there a midwestern accent?

I love guys with British accents, though.  :wub:
I live in the midwest and i've been told i have an accent :huh:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4433
erolyn

Do you have an accent?

Post by erolyn »

Red Squirrel wrote: I find most americans have an accent.  We had a few american preachers come to our church, but it's not really a big accent so it does not get annoying.  Scotish accents are cool but I can imagine how it can get to you after a while. :D  There was someone scotish that came in town for a bit and went to the internet cafe when I was doing my co-op. I did not know they actual wore the whole red/green dress thing.  I thought it was only how it is in movies. :D  He did not have any bag pipes though (probably left them in the car. :D)
A friend of mine (male) wore a kilt to Prom this year (he's Irish, though, not Scottish). It was pretty funny. His girlfriend had a matching sash on over her dress.

I'd like to know how it is that we midwesterners talk. Because I really can't find much of anything. I mean, some people here say things like "warsh" (wash) and "rits" (roots), but nobody I know- mostly just the really really big hicks.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4439
Joe

Do you have an accent?

Post by Joe »

William Wallace wrote: I hate that yelling :censored:.  I went to New York once and almost punched an Eye-taly-on bloke in the face because of his constant yelling.
There not all like that, there is tons of different peope with accents.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:488, old post ID:4443