Google Earth

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Mr Smith

Google Earth

Post by Mr Smith »

How much does DSL cost?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37335

Chyse

Google Earth

Post by Chyse »

darnit! for some reason is cant connect to the google server. what could be the problem?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37348
"Your neighbor was kind enough to let us rip him off and burn his furniture for no reason."-ATHF
"He said no, Err. With his foot." -ATHF
"Please, stop fueling my silent rage." -ATHF
Red Squirrel

Google Earth

Post by Red Squirrel »

Mr Smith wrote: How much does DSL cost?

Less than dialup in the long run, since you can save money by downloading programs instead of buying them. :D Well you can download programs with dialup but chances are you'll go over your hours and have to pay more than you would have for dsl. Just make sure you read all the fine print. Some dsl isps suck big time, they'll limit you and stuff.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37349
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Stasi

Google Earth

Post by Stasi »

Mr Smith wrote: How much does DSL cost?
Depends on the provider, of course, but you're generally looking at anywhere between $25-50 depending on bandwidth, etc.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37353
Mr Smith

Google Earth

Post by Mr Smith »

Uuug. Does anybody know any good providers for about the price of dial up?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37358

Stasi

Google Earth

Post by Stasi »

Mr Smith wrote: Uuug. Does anybody know any good providers for about the price of dial up?
Look in your phone book's Yellow Pages under Internet Service Providers. No one here can tell you who in your area has the best deal, you'll have to find that yourself.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37381
Red Squirrel

Google Earth

Post by Red Squirrel »

Also check into stuff like a T1, I heard in some places it's super cheap. Here it's like 1k per month, and DSL is faster so a T1 is not worth it. :P (but it's bulk, with no rescrictions I don't think)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37599
Mr Smith

Google Earth

Post by Mr Smith »

Red Squirrel wrote: Also check into stuff like a T1, I heard in some places it's super cheap.  Here it's like 1k per month, and DSL is faster so a T1 is not worth it. :P  (but it's bulk, with no rescrictions I don't think)
Whats T1? And whats LAN?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37610

Stasi

Google Earth

Post by Stasi »

Mr Smith wrote:
Red Squirrel wrote: Also check into stuff like a T1, I heard in some places it's super cheap.  Here it's like 1k per month, and DSL is faster so a T1 is not worth it. :P  (but it's bulk, with no rescrictions I don't think)
Whats T1? And whats LAN?
First off, Red, a T1 gives you a net of 1.536 Mbps downstream AND upstream bandwidth. The vast majority of home users will get no benefit from that kind of high upstream bandwidth, whereas a business user who maintains large databases at various locations could make real use of it if they've got a T1 or T3 connection... essentially cut any downtime due to bandwidth bottlenecks. That's why residential users generally can't get a T1 connection, because there isn't enough demand for the service providers to make money off of expanding the infrastructure to residential zones. As far as downstream bandwidth, definitely, most DSL and Cable internet providers offer plans with greater downstream bandwidth than T1s.

Dedicated internet connections, such as T1, T3, OC-3, etc. are symmetrical, meaning you get the same downstream bandwidth as upstream. Shared connections, like what is offered to home users are assymetrical.

A LAN is a 'local area network', basically a private network like what you'd have at a home or business. A WAN is a 'wide area network' which is a reference to the internet at large, and has a much larger set of IP addresses available.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37727

Google Earth

Post by 000 »

Red Squirrel wrote:

Less than dialup in the long run, since you can save money by downloading programs instead of buying them.  :D  Well you can download programs with dialup but chances are you'll go over your hours and have to pay more than you would have for dsl.  Just make sure you read all the fine print.  Some dsl isps suck big time, they'll limit you and stuff.
Dial-up is less than DSL. Here Verizon DSL is $29.95/month. Good price.
Typical dial-up here is around $10. Unlimited access. No going over hours Red. Unlimited access.
I have dial-up but I'm seriously looking at DSL.
My dial-up is through Highstream and it's great service and costs me $8.95/month(unlimited access).

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37728
Mr Smith

Google Earth

Post by Mr Smith »

Stasi wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:
Whats T1? And whats LAN?
First off, Red, a T1 gives you a net of 1.536 Mbps downstream AND upstream bandwidth. The vast majority of home users will get no benefit from that kind of high upstream bandwidth, whereas a business user who maintains large databases at various locations could make real use of it if they've got a T1 or T3 connection... essentially cut any downtime due to bandwidth bottlenecks. That's why residential users generally can't get a T1 connection, because there isn't enough demand for the service providers to make money off of expanding the infrastructure to residential zones. As far as downstream bandwidth, definitely, most DSL and Cable internet providers offer plans with greater downstream bandwidth than T1s.

Dedicated internet connections, such as T1, T3, OC-3, etc. are symmetrical, meaning you get the same downstream bandwidth as upstream. Shared connections, like what is offered to home users are assymetrical.

A LAN is a 'local area network', basically a private network like what you'd have at a home or business. A WAN is a 'wide area network' which is a reference to the internet at large, and has a much larger set of IP addresses available.
:wacko: Sooooo... what do you need for a lan connection?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37760

Mr Smith

Google Earth

Post by Mr Smith »

Anybody?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:37983

Stasi

Google Earth

Post by Stasi »

You need network adapters in the machines you want to connect, ideally a broadband modem, and a router (or a computer to be set up to handle routing).

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:38092
Red Squirrel

Google Earth

Post by Red Squirrel »

0 wrote:
Red Squirrel wrote:

Less than dialup in the long run, since you can save money by downloading programs instead of buying them.  :D  Well you can download programs with dialup but chances are you'll go over your hours and have to pay more than you would have for dsl.  Just make sure you read all the fine print.  Some dsl isps suck big time, they'll limit you and stuff.
Dial-up is less than DSL. Here Verizon DSL is $29.95/month. Good price.
Typical dial-up here is around $10. Unlimited access. No going over hours Red. Unlimited access.
I have dial-up but I'm seriously looking at DSL.
My dial-up is through Highstream and it's great service and costs me $8.95/month(unlimited access).

Woah with those prices I hope everyone is on dsl where you live. :o

Here it's about 29 for dialup (will go up to like 30 if you want unlimited, etc) and dsl is 50 I believe... we used to get a discount since my mom works for the company so it was only 40 but they took out the discount.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:38093
Mr Smith

Google Earth

Post by Mr Smith »

Stasi wrote: You need network adapters in the machines you want to connect, ideally a broadband modem, and a router (or a computer to be set up to handle routing).
Crap.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:38094

Red Squirrel

Google Earth

Post by Red Squirrel »

They're only like 20 bucks... probably like 5 bucks in the states. :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:38095
Joe

Google Earth

Post by Joe »

Jack Potato wrote: google maps shows new york really good. :ninja:
Certain areas are really blurry. Coney Island you can't see at all but then the rest of Brooklyn is clear. I don't know if this is done on purpose.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2221, old post ID:38246