if you...

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
megaspaz

if you...

Post by megaspaz »

well, according to the law, it's only stealing, if red is actually getting the media (install cds). if it's downloading an installer program off something like kazaa, it's copyright infringement. the main distinction is that the act of stealing deprives a party of the thing that was stolen. since downloading the installer program off kazaa isn't depriving the original owner or person who wrote the program that said program, it technically isn't stealing, but an engagement of copyright infringement. one is criminal (stealing) and the other (file sharing of an unauthorized copywritten work) is civil. but that's not to say that red isn't in the wrong or anything either. just being a tad pedantic.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:212, old post ID:3423
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
Red Squirrel

if you...

Post by Red Squirrel »

It takes more then just a job to afford most software... Unless you're CEO of a huge company or something.

Sure it's bad I can't say it's not, but everyone does it, and it's the only way to have a computer that can do something without needing a crazy loan that will make me go bankrupt. But I know here in Canada it's legal for music but I don't condone that as much as software since music is affordable for mostly anyone. Not sure if it's legal for software though, but they don't make a big deal out of it here.

I just look at it like speeding, you're breaking the law, but you're not murdering no one either, unless you're stupid and speed in a bad time and cause accidents.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:212, old post ID:3431
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Stasi

if you...

Post by Stasi »

megaspaz wrote: well, according to the law, it's only stealing, if red is actually getting the media (install cds).  if it's downloading an installer program off something like kazaa, it's copyright infringement.  the main distinction is that the act of stealing deprives a party of the thing that was stolen.  since downloading the installer program off kazaa isn't depriving the original owner or person who wrote the program that said program, it technically isn't stealing, but an engagement of copyright infringement.  one is criminal (stealing) and the other (file sharing of an unauthorized copywritten work) is civil.  but that's not to say that red isn't in the wrong or anything either.  just being a tad pedantic.
Hehe, Spazboticus Maximus, thanks for the correction :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:212, old post ID:3457