Books

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

Would you rather read a book and then see the movie made from it, or would you rather see the movie first and then read the book?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11479
megaspaz

Books

Post by megaspaz »

Bookworm wrote: Would you rather read a book and then see the movie made from it, or would you rather see the movie first and then read the book?
if you're talking about HHGTTG, then for me it's a moot point. already read that book... many many times. i do definately want to see the movie. i hope disney doesn't fsck it up.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11482
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

I'm not even sure what HHGTTG is, so I wasn't refering specifically to that, but I'm sure if a movie is made from it, they will mess it up. (Now I'll spent all day trying to figure out HHGTTG!)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11486
Anonymous

Books

Post by Anonymous »

Bookworm wrote: I'm not even sure what HHGTTG is, so I wasn't refering specifically to that, but I'm sure if a movie is made from it, they will mess it up. (Now I'll spent all day trying to figure out HHGTTG!)
the H itch H iker's G uide T o T he G alaxy

a good book, tooby sho'.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11497
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

I should have figured that out in 5 seconds. Oh well.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11498
sweetness

Books

Post by sweetness »

megaspaz wrote:
Bookworm wrote: Would you rather read a book and then see the movie made from it, or would you rather see the movie first and then read the book?
if you're talking about HHGTTG, then for me it's a moot point. already read that book... many many times. i do definately want to see the movie. i hope disney doesn't fsck it up.

no movie could ever live up to the books
disney WILL fsck it up :(

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11502
erolyn

Books

Post by erolyn »

Read the book, for sure. Usually when movies are made out of books, they really really f#@K them up. I'd rather know how good the book is before hand, so I can sit in the theater and whine about how much stuff they changed in the movie.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11534
megaspaz

Books

Post by megaspaz »

erolyn wrote: Read the book, for sure. Usually when movies are made out of books, they really really f#@K them up. I'd rather know how good the book is before hand, so I can sit in the theater and whine about how much stuff they changed in the movie.
i do that too. my gf, had to keep telling me to shut up at the last harry potter movie. i find it hard not to comment on the differences between books and their movies. :Dunno:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:11701
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

Right now I am in the middle of four books. I usually don't start that many at one time, but hey, it makes life interesting. They are The President's House by Margaret Truman, The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow, Big Stone Gap, and The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:16611
MrSelf

Books

Post by MrSelf »

Man, I can't do that. I can't read more than one book at a time, I feel like I'm cheating on one book for another. It's never as satisfying for me when I mix my reading (for fiction anyway). If I don't submerge myself completely in a book, I miss details and it's not as enjoyable. My gf can and does read more than one at a time, but I don't enjoy that at all.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:16613
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

I hardly ever read fiction, unless it's science fiction. The only reason I am reading Big Stone Gap is because I am part of a book discussion group, and that is the book for this month.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:16617
MrSelf

Books

Post by MrSelf »

Right on, SciFi is about the only fiction I read as well. And yeah, I've been thinking about it, and it's really only fiction I have a problem with. I have no problem reading 4 or 5 textbooks at a time.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:16622
FloodG8-9595

Books

Post by FloodG8-9595 »

I've allways liked to read the book first and then later watch the movie.. I have "The Tommyknockers" on DVD to watch.. I read the book about 6 months ago and am looking forward to seeing it put into video format. I think that I like to get a good impression of a story in my head first and my own images, so that I never loose that initial impression of the book. Basicly the book can't ruin the movie but the movie CAN ruin the book.

Some people have trouble reading "The Shining" because they've seen the movie which is a different story. I found that Mini-Series can do books better justice than movies can if they are done right. There was an excellent version of "The Shining" on Sci-Fi staring the guy from "wings".

It's been a while since I've read HHG and I'm not even sure I've finished it. I should probably go ahead and read it now that I'm done with the DT (Dark Tower) series. (By the way probably the best book series I've ever read.) I need a new world to view.

There is somthing about a book that becomes so "textile" in your mind. It's lacking in most movies (not all). You can smell what is being described to you, you can see it with a clarity that not even the most sophisticated equipment could not bring to your television. It is much like music in this way to me. A rise and fall in emotions so easily with the stoke of a pen or the twitch of a finger.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:16652
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

Has anyone else read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson? I read the First Chronicles and The Second Chronicles (each is a three book set) back in college twenty years ago, and I would stay up half the night with them and then dream I was in the book. The author has just published the first book in the Third Chronicles and I am reading it right now.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:17126
Bookworm

Books

Post by Bookworm »

I just checked out a book from the library called Great Feuds in Science: Ten of the liveliest disputes ever.The chapters are:

Urban VIII versus Galileo - An Unequal Contest
Wallis versus Hobbes - Squaring the Circle
Newton versus Leibniz - A Clash of Titans
Voltaire versus Needham - The Generation Controversy
Darwin's Bulldog versus Soapy Sam - Evolution Wars
Lord Kelvin versus Geologists and Biologists - The Age of the Earth
Cope versus Marsh - The Fossil Feud
Wegener versus Everybody - Continental Drift
Johanson versus the Leakeys - The Missing Link
Derek Freeman versus Margaret Mead - Nature versus Nurture

I don't recongnize some of the names, but I'm sure I'll disagree with about half of them. :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22110
manadren

Books

Post by manadren »

I'm currently reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, just finished reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. Honestly I didn't really read at all until recently, outside of magazine artciles, textbooks, and stuff like that. Typically a book can't hold my attention for more than a few pages. I guess I just needed to find the right book :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22127
Cicero

Books

Post by Cicero »

Right now I'm reading Garbo: The spy that saved D-Day. And I'm going to have to do a project on it for school and I'm not looking forward to it.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22131
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

Books

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm reading Revelation right now. Very interesting and powerful reading. I read Genisis, Exedos and part of Numbers then I slacked off, so I figured instead of reading it from start to end I'll pick the books/parts that interest me the most. BTW earthquakes are in the prophercies. ;) So is 1 third of stars burning out... lot of stuff I did not know.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22141
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
kiljaeden

Books

Post by kiljaeden »

Anything by Michael Crichton.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22153
Life sucks, you pay taxes, then you die. =P
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God.
-Stephen
When I eat, I don't get full, I just run out of room.
-Me
Cicero

Books

Post by Cicero »

Are you going on a recruitment drive?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22197
Sir Winston Churchill
sintekk

Books

Post by sintekk »

He has been since day one :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22200
Andy

Books

Post by Andy »

Cicero wrote: Are you going on a recruitment drive?
HA ha your not funny. BTW AF and windstorm are Team sites :P :D

sintekk *smack* :didi: :D :lol: :nana:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22227
Cicero

Books

Post by Cicero »

I wasnt trying to be funny and what the hell is a team site? :huh:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22229
Sir Winston Churchill
sintekk

Books

Post by sintekk »

Cicero wrote: I wasnt trying to be funny and what the hell is a team site? :huh:
Basically, it's...

you know, I'm not sure myself, it's normally where a site links to the other and vice versa, but the Anything Forums doesn't link to his site, as far as I know.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22230
Andy

Books

Post by Andy »

well it really don't matter. I'm in a self debate whether i should keep hosting the site -_- It's a sad day for everyone at windstorm. It's a possibly that windstorm maybe no more. :blubber: :blubber:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:568, old post ID:22236