Gmail

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Raptomex

Gmail

Post by Raptomex »

About Gmail
As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we're testing an email service called Gmail.

Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of storage. The backbone of Gmail is a powerful Google search engine that quickly recalls any message an account owner has ever sent or received. That means there's no need to file messages in order to find them again.
When Gmail displays an email, it automatically shows all the replies to that email as well, so users can view a message in the context of a conversation. There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.
Gmail uses Google search technology to automatically organize and find messages. And because Gmail includes 1,000 megabytes of storage, a typical user won't ever have to worry about deleting mail. Everything just gets archived so it can be found again if needed.

There are other differences in the way Gmail provides access to your email. For example, Gmail automatically groups an email and the replies to it as a conversation. That means you always see a message in its proper context. And there are no pop-ups or banner ads in Gmail, just relevant text ads and links to related pages. Gmail's other distinctive features include a labeling system, a spam reporter and a system for filtering your mail as it comes into your inbox.

Gmail is a free service and includes 1,000 megabytes of storage with each account. However, Gmail is still in preview mode as we test it to work out the kinks. So for now, it's not generally available.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:303, old post ID:2428
manadren

Gmail

Post by manadren »

strange, out of the myriad of articles on the web that review, react to, and debate over gmail, you chose to post the bloody about page.

I've used it a little bit and I have to say that I like the idea of labels and conversations. It'll be interesting to see how it looks when it finally comes out of beta.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:303, old post ID:2470
jhobo4

Gmail

Post by jhobo4 »

I`ve been using it alot lately too

but still have only 1 issue and that being the security aspect

being web based is it for everyone to see?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:303, old post ID:2528
O 8.0* XP SP2*Fire Fox 1.0

Image Image Image
Chris Vogel

Gmail

Post by Chris Vogel »

jhobo4 wrote: being web based is it for everyone to see?
No, people can’t access your Web mail as easily as…oh say…a public Web page. As a matter of fact, Web mail may be more secure (if your connection is encrypted) than POP3 since options such as secure authentication (where your username and password are encrypted) and SSL (where everything is encrypted) are usually not enabled by default in mail clients or not available.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:303, old post ID:2545
jhobo4

Gmail

Post by jhobo4 »

I think you are right, noticed the padlock as if I were visiting a bank/secured site.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:303, old post ID:2640
O 8.0* XP SP2*Fire Fox 1.0

Image Image Image