Time travel?

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Do you think it's possible? I don't really think it is because of the way time works, but after reading some stuff on it, I'm sort of coinvince it might be possible, it's just we are far from having the technology to travel it, and the paradox problem is still not figured out yet.

Time is a 4th dimension, and it's possible to modify (aka travel) 3D objects, so perhaps it's possible to do it with the 4th? It is said that travelling at light speed could bring you foward or backward in time, but it's not yet known.

Another explaination is that if you could have mirrors (and lenses to zoom in or a powerful telescope to look in the mirrors) going all around earth pointing at you, you would see yourself in the future. But that I doubt it, since it would still be like looking at yourself in a mirror, but because it would take longer since it's far, perhaps you'd see yourself in the past, but this is not any different then recording yourself then playing the tape, so it's not really time travel.

But I just think this could be a good non-contreveral discussion since there's so much to consider about whether or not it's possible. :dance:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:870
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Cisco_Kid

Time travel?

Post by Cisco_Kid »

I still fail to understand how this topic has/had attracted so much serious discussion on here and the Opera forums. :blink:
resume the discussion, never mind me.....slips quietly out of the room after grabbing some of the complimentary donuts and drinks.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:907
Started talking to yourself I see.
Yes, it was the only way I could be sure of an intelligent conversation

Blackadder
Stasi

Time travel?

Post by Stasi »

Awww, man.... I thought this horse got beaten to its maggot infested innards in the slightly older AF. But hey, there's lots of new people so disregard this brief, turd-ridden rant.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:979
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

I find it's an interesting topic, and it's one of the few science related once that don't really interfeer with religion. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1161
Stasi

Time travel?

Post by Stasi »

Red Squirrel wrote: I find it's an interesting topic, and it's one of the few science related once that don't really interfeer with religion.  :D
How's that? If time travel were possible, you could go back in time and save Jesus or something.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1191
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah but that's the main issue with time travel - paradoxes. That's one of the things that make it most likely impossible. What if you go kill your parants before you were born? That creates a paradox.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1198
Xevolar

Time travel?

Post by Xevolar »

Paradox occurs if you are able to see the future or affect the past. We can already see the past to some extent (memory), and can affect the future in obvious ways. The only way time travel would be paradox-free would be if you could travel back in time to see but not to change, or travel forward in time to blindly affect whatever's there. But aren't we already doing that?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1254
Anonymous

Time travel?

Post by Anonymous »

According to Stephen Hawking's "A brief history of Time" it may be possible to travel through time, but only to the future.

Take, for instance this example:

A pair of brothers build a Starship that can travel at the speed of light.

One brother remains on Earth, the other rockets off into space. The one in space travels the galaxy at the speed of light, never stopping, and returns to earth. 30 years pass by on Earth. On returning to Earth, the brother who traveled through space finds that his brother has aged 30 years, while he has not aged but a minute.

Sorry if I've made some mistakes, but that's how I remember it. <_<

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1475
Stasi

Time travel?

Post by Stasi »

Xevolar wrote: The only way time travel would be paradox-free would be if you could travel back in time to see but not to change
That's impossible. A person's very presence changes their surroundings.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1753
Dumb Genius

Time travel?

Post by Dumb Genius »

travelling at light speed could bring you foward or backward in time
no it would stop time for the 'traveler'
for the story of mirrors it is just a reference system issue, the famous example with the departing train shows the same thing

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1865
» BHS-D
» TwstC
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I don't quit understand the light speed thing myself, since light speed is just a speed like any other, just that it's fast. But some say it may be the fastest possible speed anything can go. So if you somehow force something to go faster then they thing it may be possible, but not sure myself if I see how it would be possible. I want to eventually try it one day just for fun though... but I want to live part of my life before putting it at risk. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1870
MrSelf

Time travel?

Post by MrSelf »

Red Squirrel wrote: Yeah I don't quit understand the light speed thing myself, since light speed is just a speed like any other, just that it's fast.  But some say it may be the fastest possible speed anything can go.  So if you somehow force something to go faster then they thing it may be possible, but not sure myself if I see how it would be possible.  I want to eventually try it one day just for fun though...  but I want to live part of my life before putting it at risk. :D
At this point, light is the fastest object we know of. It travels at a speed of almost 300,000,000 m/s (metres per second). more here It takes 1.3 hours for light from our sun to reach Jupiter. If our sun suddenly went out, the fine people on Jupiter wouldn't know for 1.3 hours :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:1922
shenbaw

Time travel?

Post by shenbaw »

--------------------

In the beginning... | http://www.iceteks.com
LOL! :lol:

"Consider this: A majority of the world's most advanced scientists agree on a common theory that has been derived through empirical evidence. But Red knows so much more about "Science" than the real scientists do that he can disprove their "scientific" theory with little more than Newton's first law and his trusty book of Genesis." :lol:

Classic Red. Rhetoric at it's best. "Think about this, if the big bang is right, we don't have very long to live cause the world is going to freeze someday!" :wacko:
I was going to go on and on about how many things made me laugh when I watched that, but I realize it is off topic and nobody probably wants to hear it. Just wanted to let you know I finally saw it and I really appreciate the good Christian message at the end, "Shenbraw, you and all athiests are going to hell, but you don't have to, you can change! It's your choice!"
Have you ever thought about becoming a missionary Red? You'd be great at it. I heard scare tactics work wonders in third-world countries. LOL. :rolleyes:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2067
sweetness

Time travel?

Post by sweetness »

if time travel were possible, i'd deliciously murder people i hate and piss on people that i just dislike, then i'd travel back to an hour before it all happened so that i wouldn't get arrested and be branded a sick freak... which is what i probably am! :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2071
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

hahaha that could work. Travel in the future and put one of those exploding light bulbs in the person's room then go back. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2077
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

shenbaw wrote: LOL! :lol:

"Consider this: A majority of the world's most advanced scientists agree on a common theory that has been derived through empirical evidence. But Red knows so much more about "Science" than the real scientists do that he can disprove their "scientific" theory with little more than Newton's first law and his trusty book of Genesis."  :lol:

Classic Red. Rhetoric at it's best. "Think about this, if the big bang is right, we don't have very long to live cause the world is going to freeze someday!"  :wacko:
I was going to go on and on about how many things made me laugh when I watched that, but I realize it is off topic and nobody probably wants to hear it. Just wanted to let you know I finally saw it and I really appreciate the good Christian message at the end, "Shenbraw, you and all athiests are going to hell, but you don't have to, you can change! It's your choice!"
Have you ever thought about becoming a missionary Red? You'd be great at it. I heard scare tactics work wonders in third-world countries. LOL. :rolleyes:
Newton's first law, and law of thermodynamics makes WAY more sense then the big bang.... Genisis is icing on the cake. And that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Now back to light speed. If I build something that can go this fast, will anyone want to try it for me? :D I'm thinking something along the lines of a giant rail gun and nitrogen compression, two fairly big forces combined into the ultimate suicide... I mean successful mission.

I'm not the one that will pay for that transformer though... :mellow: But all we really need is a 1:10000000000000000000 ratio :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2079
shenbaw

Time travel?

Post by shenbaw »

Newton's first law, and law of thermodynamics makes WAY more sense then the big bang.... Genisis is icing on the cake. And that's the way the cookie crumbles. Now back to light speed
I find it's an interesting topic, and it's one of the few science related once that don't really interfeer with religion.
:lol: Just pick out the things in science you agree with, the rest is all lies. :rolleyes:

Anything has the potential to interfere with religion if you want it to. You can either turn it into something opposed to religion or something that coincides with religion.
You are trying so adamently to force science into your current belief system, when in actuality you should be trying to force your current belief system into science.
Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2087
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

So anyone want to test my new rail gun?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2091

shenbaw

Time travel?

Post by shenbaw »

Looks like a flawless plan Red. Can I be first?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2094
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Sure. Here's a shovel, we have to make the tunnel first. :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2095
shenbaw

Time travel?

Post by shenbaw »

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said "test" it, not "build" it.

More interesting tactics of persuasion. :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2098
Anonymous

Time travel?

Post by Anonymous »

Shenbaw, you are going to hell because god hates you.

Check ouy red's In the Beginning animation.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2116
shenbaw

Time travel?

Post by shenbaw »

Yes, I've already had the pleasure...
Classic Red. Rhetoric at it's best. "Think about this, if the big bang is right, we don't have very long to live cause the world is going to freeze someday!" 
Have you ever thought about becoming a missionary Red? You'd be great at it. I heard scare tactics work wonders in third-world countries. LOL.
:rolleyes:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2129
Red Squirrel

Time travel?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Repent repent! take off every zig!!!

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2130
Anonymous

Time travel?

Post by Anonymous »

1. In red's world gravity does not exist.

2. In red's world, chaos theory does not exist.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:91, old post ID:2135