Sun buys Mysql

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

Sun buys Mysql

Post by Red Squirrel »

Bad news, I think. But we'll have to wait and see what happens from here. If they keep it free then it's not so bad, but having software like this in the hands of a corporation usually means unpredictability about its future price.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/sun_pays_my...and_squeezenote

Sun pays MySQL ONE BILLION DOLLARS (and squeezenote)

* TAGS:BEA, database, lamp, MySQL, Oracle, Postgresql, Sun
* IT TOPICS:E-Business & Web 2.0, Enterprise Software & Services, Linux, Open Source, SOA & Web Services, Storage

Rate this
Rated +3
5 Votes

It's IT Blogwatch: in which Sun buys open source database vendor MySQL. Not to mention the Steve Jobs 90 minute keynote in 60 seconds...

Jeremy Kirk beams down: [What, no "Enterprise" pun? -Ed.]

Sun Microsystems Inc. will pay $1 billion for Swedish software company MySQL AB, whose open-source database is used for some of the most widely visited Web sites in the world ... The news comes as Oracle Corp. said it will acquire BEA Systems Inc. for $8.5 billion. MySQL's product line will help Sun give further support to the open-source Web application platform known as LAMP, the acronym for Linux, the Apache Web server, MySQL database and the PHP/Perl programming languages. [more]

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4981, old post ID:38643
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
manadren_it

Sun buys Mysql

Post by manadren_it »

It's probably a good thing, at least one of the better companies to gobble it up. Look at Open Office - Sun is no stranger to the open source community. Besides, Sun makes most of it's money in the enterprise server market, where the money is in the hardware and support contracts more than software licenses.

MySQL will remain free, though you'll probably see a good boost in development, perhaps the option to buy service contracts, and wider adoption in the enterprise arena as they integrate it with Suns other products.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4981, old post ID:38645
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
Red Squirrel

Sun buys Mysql

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm true forgot about open office being owned by sun, so yeah maybe mysql will in fact remain free forever.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4981, old post ID:38646
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!