MP4 Help :(

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Triple6_wild

Post by Triple6_wild »

Problem A
Umm ok i need to get my pc to play mp4 files properly but for some reason the codecs i found will ethere play just sound or only open the video so the first frame can be seen but wont play the video so uhh anyone know of a good mp4 codec or away to use the ones i have?

I tryed FFD- Show and Matroska splitter but i still cant get them to play properly

And yes the file im testing with does work (before you ask lol) i have played them on my psp :grade11math: But no matter what ive tryed i cannot get mp4 to play on my pc

Problem B
I downloaded some mp4 files tho not the file im trying to play i need to convert to ethere mp4 with different settings so my ps3 can play it (donno should run on ps3 as is but doesnt) or avi for my pc but my pc cannot read or convert it from the current mp4 for some reason tho i can convert avi etc to psp mp4 :blink:

Ok if i lost you above here is the simple explanation :biglaugh:
I can convert avi, mpg, ogg, mkv, etc to mp4 files for my psp but thay are low quality
But i cant convert anything to higher quality mp4's for my ps3
And i cant convert a high quality mp4 to any other file type?
And my pc cant play any MP4

Umm ya i is confused a lil :unsure: i normally am good with getting video to play/convert of any type but mp4 has my lost like a mo-fo :dosgonebad:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38422

Wait what?
richardj

Post by richardj »

I can't help--that's for sure--Did you try Google?

I can't even get embedded WMV files to play. :rolleyes:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38423
Triple6_wild

Post by Triple6_wild »

Of course i used google-fu ^^ fixed my converting problem but still cant play mp4 on my pc :(

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38424

Wait what?
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Weird never even heard of MP4 format. Might be propitiatory to only one program.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38425
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
richardj

Post by richardj »

:rolleyes:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=...G=Google+Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,910,000 for cant play mp4 . (0.17 seconds) <_>

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38426
manadren_it

Post by manadren_it »

mp4 is a container file laid out in part 14 of the MPEG 4 specification. Apparently it's pretty close to the old mov container used by apple quicktime, but it's seen much more widespread adoption.

Mind you mp4 is just a container, so this doesn't say too much about the actual codecs you need. My guess is the the video stream is probably encoded in H.264, as you really didn't start seeing mp4 files appearing on the web until H.264 got popular. H.264 is more CPU intensive than XVID or DIVX, but right now has the best bang for you mb in terms of image quality and compression.

You could probably download the latest quicktime player and that will play the vids for you. Mind you I try not to touch that beast whenever possible.

Personally I use K-Lite Mega Codec pack for all my codec needs. Mind you when I say all I mean all. You probabaly want to uninstall any other video codecs before installing the pack as codecs can conflict with each other.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38430
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
Triple6_wild

Post by Triple6_wild »

haha seems im not the only one who uses k-lite codec pack :awesome: Tho i did not go for mega and my pack is the older 2.27 Full but on the bright side its only got codecs i need for most common files types and not filled with codecs for rare file types i may never use

So yes you are correct sir it is H.264 and i really dislike that beast quicktime also :biglaugh: Light Alloy is my choice of players cuz its quick and simple so a codec is way preferred

Also its nice to know that it is more CPU oriented :unsure: I now understand why sony would use mp4 on the ps3

Anyways manadren FFDshow should be able to play the file...

So uhh what could be the problem here???

ogg mkv and a new divx are the only 3 file types ive had to get another codec for since k-lite 2.27's release so conflict should not be a problem :huh: but just to be sure i will uninstall all codecs and try installing just one splitter like FFD and if that doesnt work then i will be back lol

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38431

Wait what?
Triple6_wild

Post by Triple6_wild »

:awesome: There was a conflict with one of em in my old codec pack so i updated to the 3.53 and all files seem to be playing fine now ^^

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38432

Wait what?
manadren_it

Post by manadren_it »

I use the mega codec pack myself since it contains the quicktime and realplayer alternative plugins, helping me stay as far away from their bloated counterparts as possible.

K-LIte Codec packs tend to update surpirisingly frequently, and I honestly can't remember if the mp4 splitter and H.264 support were a part of 2.27. It's possible you were just missing the mp4 splitter. FFDshow may be able to play the video stream, but you have to get the stream out of the container first :).

Glad to see you up and running though. When in doubt I always just uninstall all my video codecs, get the latest pack and start fresh. That tends to fix things for me :).

My players of choice are ZoomPlayer and good old Media Player Classic. I tend to use ZoomPlayer for Full screen stuff, and MPC for everything else.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38433
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
Triple6_wild

Post by Triple6_wild »

The 2.27 did have an mp4 splitter but 2.27 is over a year old lol

Shows how reliable those packs are id say since i got away from having to update for so long and only needed 2-3 other codecs for some rare/new files i came accross :biglaugh:

Anyways i knew codecs had conficts but since i never update my k-lite it never crossed my mind lol

Now i just need a regestry cleaner <_> Getting one now ^^

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4928, old post ID:38434

Wait what?