New video card

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
upload420

New video card

Post by upload420 »

ok i am going to buy myself something for christmas and i have decided i need a new video card and some more ram. I know i am going to get another gig of ram but what should i get for a video card. I can't support pci express so that kind of limits my options but what is the next best thing PCI or AGP as far as interface. I also have been having trouble on if i should go Nvidia or ATI. I have always liked Nvidia but ATI has seemed to come out with some great products latly. I am not sure what to get. Please give me some ideas. MY price range is between 150$ and 200$.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4028, old post ID:33064
it's sad but it took me almost 20 years to find out who i was. only reason was alcohol made me become hiddin in myself and now being clean has brought the reall me to the surface
Red Squirrel

New video card

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'd go with AGP for sure, and ATI has never been bad to me, but Nvidia either, I don't really have a main preference for either. Just get the highest ram you can for the video card since in a month from now I can guaratee a game will come out requireing it. But also, don't spend more then 200 bucks, I find it rediculous how some cards are like $700 bucks, and a couple months later they're not the best anymore, and sell for half price.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4028, old post ID:33069
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Death

New video card

Post by Death »

If it's for gaming, I'd go 128 mb or 256 mb. 256 mb cards have come down alot in price. I got mine for around 149 (but it had a 50$ rebate). Try to find one where the core clock speed is around 350 mhz or higher (Should say on the back of the box). 128 mb seem to be around 129$ - 149$ now I have noticed. I saw some for about 89.99$ by ati which were semi-decent. As for Nvidia and ATI, it's all in your personal preference. They always seem to be balanced in the ways of technology. Sometimes ATI comes out with a better series, the next day, Nvidia come out with a better series. It's all in what you know and trust. My last two video cards were Nvidia and I haven't had any issues (Except the fact that my power supply is going to need an upgrade realll soon :P). That being said, if my graphics card were an ATI, I'd love it just the same. Oh ya, and go with AGP of course. PCI is not as quick, takes up another slot and if you have the AGP slot already, why let it go to waste. If you have PCI-E slots, lucky bugger, but the price for the cards are usually more expensive.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4028, old post ID:33072
tw2

New video card

Post by tw2 »

well AGP has my vote as posted above ,unless you have or are running a newer MOBO,if so look up to see if you need to use a PCI EXPRESS card .for your video
an APG will not fix in the slot .make sure you look into this . The pci express card cost a little more but what a difference faster ,better all the way around 3-D unbelieveable find someone close to you who is running one to check it out .
big difference .

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4028, old post ID:33088