New DC Team?

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

New DC Team?

Post by Red Squirrel »

To be honest with everyone I have not crunched UD for quite a while, that's because they suck at managing their servers and half the time I was either crunching fake molecules or not crunching at all due ot server connection issues.

So I'm thinking of switching to Folding@home or Find A Drug. F@H is nice as it also runs in linux, so if any of us run servers we can put it on. I think FAD also has a linux client but I'm not 100% on that one. Either one are decent solutions and both for good causes.

So I'm thinking, we can have a vote of which one we switch to.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/

Once we decide I'll start up the team. The UD team will remain, but we will have to try and encourage people to join our new team instead but a good portion of Iceteks UD members are not even members here nor the UD forums, so it won't be easy to do.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31353
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
sintekk

New DC Team?

Post by sintekk »

I'd be down for Folding At Home

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31354
Death

New DC Team?

Post by Death »

Red Squirrel wrote: To be honest with everyone I have not crunched UD for quite a while, that's because they suck at managing their servers and half the time I was either crunching fake molecules or not crunching at all due ot server connection issues.

So I'm thinking of switching to Folding@home or Find A Drug. F@H is nice as it also runs in linux, so if any of us run servers we can put it on. I think FAD also has a linux client but I'm not 100% on that one. Either one are decent solutions and both for good causes.

So I'm thinking, we can have a vote of which one we switch to.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/

Once we decide I'll start up the team. The UD team will remain, but we will have to try and encourage people to join our new team instead but a good portion of Iceteks UD members are not even members here nor the UD forums, so it won't be easy to do.
I'd give it a whirl as long as it isn't a very large ressource hog (Unless of course is uses 100% of your ressources but tones down when other processes need it).

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31357
Red Squirrel

New DC Team?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah that's how it works it runs at 100% but the second another app needs it it goes down. At least that's how UD works, but I think all of them are like that.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31358
Red Squirrel

New DC Team?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Looks like it's F@H. What I'll do is I'll let this sit till the end of the week then get the team together. There's still the possibility of going to FAD if somehow the poll changes.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31405
Red Squirrel

New DC Team?

Post by Red Squirrel »

It's official, we're going with F@H. I just need to setup the client on my PC and setup the team and then I'll post the info.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31557
sintekk

New DC Team?

Post by sintekk »

I'm in like Flynn.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31581
sintekk

New DC Team?

Post by sintekk »

BTW, you should just blow all the posts before this one away, or at least archive them in a locked United Devices forum, since they don't apply here, really.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31611
Red Squirrel

New DC Team?

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah, but at least all the posts will somewhat make it look active. :P Any threads 1 year or older get archived automaticly anyway.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:31612
alienz

New DC Team?

Post by alienz »

Dear Members,

This is a reminder that Grid.org will be physically moving to a new facility this weekend. This will provide better reliability and is part of the Grid.org migration. Grid.org must be completely powered down in order to move. This will include the forum, member web, and the grid itself.

Since this is not a trivial outage, we cannot give an exact time that Grid.org will be down. The outage will take as long as it takes and it may be a day or two before everything is back online.

This is a reminder that Grid.org will be physically moving to a new facility this weekend. This will provide better reliability and is part of the Grid.org migration. Grid.org must be completely powered down in order to move. This will include the forum, member web, and the grid itself.

Since this is not a trivial outage, we cannot give an exact time that Grid.org will be down. The outage will take as long as it takes and it may be a day or two before everything is back online.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3857, old post ID:32615