IB 2.0

Announcements about the forum or services itself
Chris Vogel

IB 2.0

Post by Chris Vogel »

Red Squirrel wrote: I was right... it's not today...
Hehe... Never can trust release dates.

In a way this is good though. At least the developers aren't going to churn out some half-baked product just to meet the release dates.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19910
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah exactly. I can trust that the RC1 will be stable so that's good.

The upgrade process will take about a month anyway so even if there are issues I'll have time to patch up before it even goes live. I'll have a progress meter in my sig to keep everyone updated. That will make my sig super huge though by having 3 graphics in it lol.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:19916
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Still no update on the release... and they keep closing any threads refering to it so that's not a good sign at all... they don't even want to discuss it. Also from what it seems there will be a PDR4, so that means more waiting since it won't be safe to use a PDR since they will change the skin system for RC1..... I don't know why they keep changing the skin system anyhow. I had the thoughts of making a forum script from scratch for here... since with all this waiting I'd probably be nearly done. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20005
wldkos

IB 2.0

Post by wldkos »

Red Squirrel wrote: Still no update on the release... and they keep closing any threads refering to it so that's not a good sign at all... they don't even want to discuss it. Also from what it seems there will be a PDR4, so that means more waiting since it won't be safe to use a PDR since they will change the skin system for RC1..... I don't know why they keep changing the skin system anyhow. I had the thoughts of making a forum script from scratch for here... since with all this waiting I'd probably be nearly done. :lol:
im totally waiting like 2 weeks after the 2.0 stable comes out. I don't have as much access to the net as i used to when i was home, so i have to make sure the new onecan run herself with no problems.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20048
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah since I'm sure they will get issues, but hopefully if they do it will be nothing too serious since the upgrade here will take about a month so I'll be able to open the new forum with fixes applied.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20049
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

I had a feeling this was going to happen. <_<

So the release will be in the middle of June, so make that beginning of July. I'll be working then so the upgrade will in fact take a month. I figured if they released it about now, I could work on it durring my time off and maybe make the upgrade last about 2 weeks instead.

I will inform myself on weather or not the skin system will change, since I can still do the skin now if there's no changes planed. ;)

This is the fifth IPB 2.0.0 development update. These updates are designed to keep you informed on the development progress of Invision Power Board v2.0.0.

We've almost completed IPB 2.0.0 PDR 4 which completes the database abstraction and rounds off some features.

This release took much longer to complete than expected due to the enormous task of going through each IPB source file (160+ files) and manually extracting the SQL statements to either put them in the queries file or convert them into the database abstracted methods. This is a vital step for allowing IPB 2 to be ported to different database systems and although it's taken a great deal of time, it's entirely justified by the flexibility the system allows.

Other items finished in this release are as follows:

* Skin import / export routines (export XML templates and XMLarchive image sets)
* Languages import / export routines (export XML language file)
* Re-designed mini-profile card (more info, better layout)

I've also fixed a few of the larger bugs so far (permission mask addition / removal, moderator addition, etc) and although we have many bugs left to fix before we get to RC1 status we're confident that they are minor and as such won't take long to work through.

Latest Release Date Estimates

PDR4 (next beta release): Wednesday 2nd June
RC1 (first supported release): No specific date - around the middle of June

Please note that these dates are only estimates and should only be used as a guide. They are subject to change without notice due to the unpredictable nature of software development. Put simply: they are dates that seem reasonable based on the current speed of development.

What's left to do?

We're nearly at the stage where IPB 2 reaches release candidate quality. The full feature set is now implemented (apart from a few minor tweaks and enhancements).

Skins and Languages

As mentioned in other announcements, the skins and language sets are not complete and will receive an overhaul during the development cycle. As a rule of thumb, the skins and langauges will not be complete until PR 1 (RC 1).

Upgrading to PDR 4 from PDR 1,2 or 3

We have initiated our new upgrade system and a new upgrade module will be written for PDR 4.

Upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0.0

There is currently no upgrade path from 1.3 to 2.0.0. We plan on writing the upgrade script for around PDR 4 (Beta 4) - possibly just after. Until then please don't try and import a 1.3 database into 2.0 - it simply won't work.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20084
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmmm they released it mid june like promissed, BUT it's still a PDR and not the actual RC1....

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry910485

We have just released IPB 2.0.0 PDR 5 to the download area!

This release comes with proper IPB 2.0.0 documentation so be sure to read "readme.html" which can be found in the root folder of the download archive. This file details which files have changed since PDR 4 and which bugs this release fixes.

What's new?

There are over 75 bug fixes in this release which fixes nearly all of the major and intermediate problems with previous releases and we've only the minor ones to fix before the first release candidate. I've also been working closely with the DB drivers team to ensure that the first release candidate of Invision Power Board 2.0.0 allows seamless integration with other database drivers. We've finalized the new installer methods with multi-database abilities and gone through all the core code to ensure maximum compatibility. This means that IPB 2 will be able to take advantage of very clean MSSQL and Oracle database drivers when IPB 2 is in final release format.

Upgrading from previous versions of IPB 2.0.0

The upgrade system is still being used and seems to be successful. Please note the new location of the 'ipb_templates.xml' file which is now in the forum's root folder to make it easier to remember to upload when upgrading. This is a vital step as it is used to rebuild your templates and add new template sections into the master skin when required.

Important: Make sure you upgrade the following files
upgrade/index.php
upgrade/core/functions.php
ips_kernel/class_db_mysql.php

Upgrading from IPB 1.3

There is no upgrade path to upgrade from IPB 1.3 yet (still). I really wanted to get IPB 2.0.0 as stable as possible before letting it loose on established boards with real live data. PDR 5 is the most stable release to date and I can now begin work on the 1.3 -> 2.0 upgrader.

What's next?

There are a small number of minor bugs left to fix before we get to RC1. We hope to bring you RC1 early next week if we continue the speedy pace we've achieved over the past few weeks.
I think squirrelBBS beta 1 will be out before IB RC1 :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20497
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

IB 2.0 for production use has finally been released! It's not final, but it has a 1.3 upgrader and basically we could upgrade at this very moment.

I'll let you guys give your input on this but what I'm considering is to simply keep the board as it is right now, and wait until I get SquirrelBBS to a point where we can use it here. This will also help me make it better as I will be able to find more bugs and features that should be added in future versions. I'm hoping to release SquirrelBBS by Christmas, or new years eve (2005 :P)

IPB 2.0.0 PF1 is put on general release

We're pleased to announce that we've just released IPB 2.0.0 PF1 to the download area on full general release.

This release includes the 1.3 upgrade system to enable you to upgrade your boards. Full instructions are provided in the zip package and we recommend that you read them carefully and make sure you backup your database and files before upgrading.

Those of you upgrading from PDR5 will just need to ensure that you upload all the appropriate files INCLUDING 'ipb_templates.xml' and then run the upgrade system as normal by running "/upgrade/index.php". This will add in a few new settings and alter the database as needed.

Please remember that although this is a release candidate and therefore very stable and can be used in a production board, it's not final and still contains some minor bugs and a few rough edges. If in doubt wait until the final release!
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry936523

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20828
Triple6_wild

IB 2.0

Post by Triple6_wild »

i think you should wait for squirrelBBS cuz less time spent updating this board is more time on squirrelBBS so it can be out sooner lol and all your testers are here when you have a working system

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20835

Wait what?
wldkos

IB 2.0

Post by wldkos »

on the invision power website, they said to not expect anything until the 2.0 comes out. They explicitly state that the pdrs are stable, but they do not reccommend for say using it here. Be patient. It's going to be a while till skins and mods are released as well.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20838
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah true, and by that time I'll be near ready to release a stable version of SBBS, most likely. But the license agreement actually says that they expect people to pay if they will keep it. While that can't know if I'm just testing it or not, I rather not take chances. But we'll see when the actual 2.0 stable release comes, I may decide to go for it if it's worth the trouble to upgrade and remod/reskin.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:20841
Red Squirrel

IB 2.0

Post by Red Squirrel »

Just for the record, IB 2.0 finally came out not too long ago, but they decided to completly pull off all downloads now so you can't even "evaluate" it.

Not that I care since I have some long term plans to upgrade this place. Besides so much custom code has been put in here, it's not like we're running behind or anything.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2118, old post ID:22604