video card acting up

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

im running a nvidia 32 mb ddr gforce 2 gts card. here latlely when playing counterstrike or other games there will be a 2-3 second period where the game kinda sticks and the sound hangs. sounds like a stuck record. it does it for 2-3 secs and about every 20 secs it'll do this. ive tried different drivers, reduced settings and everything else i know to do. it wasnt just lag in gaming online because i usually run 25-40 pings on high speed dsl. i installed some grapgics demos that came with my card. they pretty much stress your card. it also pauses/stutters on these demos. any ideas? could it be failing ram that was discussed in one of my past posts?

thanx-
mm

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14502
never go where your mind hasn't already been
L33T B0T

video card acting up

Post by L33T B0T »

im running a nvidia 32 mb ddr gforce 2 gts card.  here latlely when playing counterstrike or other games there will be a 2-3 second period where the game kinda sticks and the sound hangs.  sounds like a stuck record.  it does it for 2-3 secs and about every 20 secs it'll do this.  ive tried different drivers, reduced settings and everything else i know to do.  it wasnt just lag in gaming online because i usually run 25-40 pings on high speed dsl.  i installed some grapgics demos that came with my card.  they pretty much stress your card.  it also pauses/stutters on these demos.  any ideas?  could it be failing ram that was discussed in one of my past posts?

thanx-
mm
Good gossip: you are running a nvidia 32 mb ddr gforce 2 gts card. Oh there. hat does a stuck record sound like?running a nvidia 32 mb ddr gforce 2 gts card it for 2-3 secs and about every 20 secs it'll do this? I'm not sure if I would like to try different drivers reduced settings and everything else he or she know to do . What's it like?It seemed like just lag in gaming online because he or she usually run 25-40 pings on high speed dsl. hy?:
Undefined said Undefined installed some grapgics demos that came with your card. Who does "they" refer to?It depends on what the meaning of the word "it" is. No I don't think there are any. It's possible. "? thanx-
mm?
:(

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14503
L33T B0T
Serving the community since Undefined
Red Squirrel

video card acting up

Post by Red Squirrel »

Well the bot tried to help. :D

If sound messes up too, I don't think it's the video card, it might be directX or something like that. Maybe even ram problems. Maybe try reinstalling directX or upgrading if you are not to the latest version, and see if it does anything.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14504
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

cool-thx Red

mm

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14508
Red Squirrel

video card acting up

Post by Red Squirrel »

No problem, glad I could help. Hopefully it will work though.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14509
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

no go :banghead: same thing. i deleted all windows updates to make sure there were no conflicts. dl'd x9 and installed and updated to latest vid driver. same thing happens.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14532
Red Squirrel

video card acting up

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm wierd... The only way it could be the video card is if it somehow does something to the whole system which causes everything to freeze. Maybe even a heat issue. :unsure:

Maybe try reinstalling windows. That seems to help with these type of problems. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14533
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

done that already- no change

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14534
Wren

video card acting up

Post by Wren »

You may have too many programs running in the background, using up your resources. :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14535
manadren_it

video card acting up

Post by manadren_it »

I'm thinking this is likely a hardware problem. The first thing that comes to mind is memory, though it could be a heat issue as well.

try one of these programs to do a thorough test of your memory:
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

You may also want to take a look at airflow in your case, make sure all your fans are running properly, if you're overclocking, clock it back down, etc. But I'm thinking this is most likely a memory issue.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14537
mana's blog {1, 2} yell at me when I get lazy
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

ive ran memtest before and got a couple errors but it could not determine which stick that might have a problem. ill swap the sticks around and see if it keeps acting up.

thanx
mm

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14540
rovingcowboy

video card acting up

Post by rovingcowboy »

did you up the swap file like i said in the other post some where on here that was dealing with kind of the same thing?

if you did not then try upping the swapfile size make it about 2250 max and 2249 min.. and then reboot that should give you all the mem you need.

also if it is a heat thing try checking the video card for it getting too hot. is there a fan on the vid cards cpu?

if not try and find one that can be added to it.

is there enough power from the power supply to keep all the fans and drives running..

the stopping and the skipping of the sound can be done by background running programs that need to mess with the sound such as equlizer settings for extreamly loud game sounds.

but also can be a cracked board on the sound card. you might not have the bad video card it might just be the sound card as it was with me on my old win98 computer the ensoing1694 card was cracked some where or one of the diodes was over heating that stuck the mouse and sound and locked the monitor up.

you might also be in need of new sound card drivers and not video drivers.
:unsure:
that is all i can think of for now. :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14541
roving cowboy/ keith
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

RC-
not familiar with the swap file deal. i guess i didnt up the swap file before. and yeah there's a fan on the vid card. ill try to figure this swap file deal out and up it.

mm

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14614
rovingcowboy

video card acting up

Post by rovingcowboy »

swap file is virtural memory.

go to the my computer area in winxp

the place you see the c drive. look on the explorer menu for an green arrow to go up a directory click it

now you will see the real icon for the my computer. right click it and then click on properties.

on the panel you will see lots of tabs.

click the advanced one.

on that tab the first section is preformance and has a settings button.

click it.

now you will see the preformance panel and there are 2 tabs there click the

advanced tab.

That tab has 3 sections you want to look at the last one and click the change button.

now you will see the virtual memory panel it shows you the hard drives on your computer and what one has the swap file on and how large it is.

you want to select the drive with the most empty space if you have more then one drive and you then want to click the radio button that says custom size.

now you want to set the Maximum size first make that 2250 mb's and then you set the Initial size which is the minimum size. make it 2249 mb's now click set button then click the ok button.

reboot the computer. you should be using the new larger swapfile.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14617
roving cowboy/ keith
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

nada, no change.

still like its lagging out and its no even online. it even does it when i click to play on LAN and im on a map by myself. it will lag and sound still repeats :banghead:

mm

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14717
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

my pc is turning into :pissed off:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14718
rovingcowboy

video card acting up

Post by rovingcowboy »

something might help you out is at this site.

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp

look for their free file of the day for thursday dec 4 th. 2003 it was a tweaking program for you video card.

that might be just what your after. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14725
roving cowboy/ keith
megaspaz

video card acting up

Post by megaspaz »

wren had a pretty good suggestion in trying to check out what you have running in the background. stop anything you don't need running. may help to alleviate memory issues while playing. plus you said you ran memtest and it said you got a couple of memory errors. were you able to determine anything from pulling out memory?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14746
Resistance is futile...

Registered Linux User #321628
Anime/Toon Avatars
Other Cool Forums

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s**tty ideas from..." - Woyaya - January 10, 2004
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

im thinking it may be memory. my pc is seeming to get slower and slower while loading web pages.

mm

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14774
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

i ran a system summery on Sandra '04 and it said that the PCI latency was too high. that it could be hogging the bus and that video/programs could result in lock-ups and ppor performance. that sounds like what its doing. how do i fix this? in the bios it says nothing dealing with PCI latency.

thanx-
mm

http://www.geocities.com/phileosophos/tech/pcilatency.html

i found this-gonna try to figure powerstrip out

thanx again RC :thumbsup:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14801
Wren

video card acting up

Post by Wren »

Here's some more info you might want to read up on.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles538/

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14802
medicineman

video card acting up

Post by medicineman »

nada :banghead:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1704, old post ID:14824