Windows XP sucks!

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

Windows XP sucks!

Post by Red Squirrel »

Makes sense. win2k has the same issue with tons of services that are not needed, which not only take up memory, but make the system more vulnerble to attacks if it's out in the open. I never had to close any though.

I would actually not mind having a crash box for winxp to learn it more simply for the fact that I don't know it enough, and it might be why I hate it so much because it's so different then all OS (including linux) that I've tried. What makes linux successfull in terms of security though, is that it's open source so everyone can see the source and bugs are found faster.

For patches, I usually leave it up to the customer to finalize everything and do the tweaking part, because everyone wants it differently, I used windows update once and it lets you choose what you want and stuff. But this time I just forgot the fact that most people don't use a router or hardware firewall so it did not take long until he got infected. But I gave him advice over the phone and all seems to be working fine. The virus was caught by norton. I should have installed tiny personal firewall which is what I have but figured the few minutes of unfirewalled direct connection would be safe until he installed his own firewall Za pro... which was not the case.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:16990
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
ladytech

Windows XP sucks!

Post by ladytech »

A crash box could be arranged easily enough. Actually everytime a new version of windows comes out I spend a few days just crashing it anyway I can.

Would you be interested in playing with some servers? Just curious.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:17002
brandon

Windows XP sucks!

Post by brandon »

I have a Win2k crash box, but it's my main computer too :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:17003
Ally to good!
Nightmare to you!!!
Red Squirrel

Windows XP sucks!

Post by Red Squirrel »

ladytech wrote: A crash box could be arranged easily enough. Actually everytime a new version of windows comes out I spend a few days just crashing it anyway I can.

Would you be interested in playing with some servers? Just curious.
I'm allot into servers. I'm saving up to build myself one (basicly a normal pc) so I can put linux on and learn about it. I tried a dual boot, but it does not cut it, I want something that I can setup as ftp/samba etc. and actually use, since as I use it, I'll get needs that I'll want to learn how to do such as setting up various shares in ftp and samba, for example. All I have left to order is the hard drive. Not sure if I want to go with sata or ide, the mobo I have supports both. I know sata is not really worth the extra cash, it would be best to go with scsi if I really wanted something high performance, but IDE will do in my case. I'm probably going to get a 120 or 180gig and use the server as a backup as well.

This site used to run on a win98 *gulp* server using some 3 in one apache/php/mysql package. It did it's job for a bit, but had quite a few problems. I survived lot of worms though. Shows how the OS is not the only thing that impacts security - it's the programs you use as server. My logs were filled with IIS exploit code all the time, but they simply returned a http error. The sql worm was a fun experience too. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:17005
brandon

Windows XP sucks!

Post by brandon »

I have some experience with Linux.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:17007
Ally to good!
Nightmare to you!!!
Red Squirrel

Windows XP sucks!

Post by Red Squirrel »

well, I have a total of maybe about 2 hours, if that counts. :P Basically enough time to setup a quick server, connect to it with my 486 and say "youpi it works". So that's why I'm slowly building another machine to have a dedicated server. Novell is something else I've always wanted to play with, but that's quite pricy. :lol: My school runs on that and I want to try and get them to fix the problems instead of switching to win2000 server. novell is much more stable if somewhat maintained. win2k needs to be more maintained as a server. I safely get away with not installing patches and stuff for my own machine, but for a server, it's probably not something you can get away with when we're talking about a network of 100+ computers. 1 network virus, and everything is pretty much gone. But no one really does any maintenance other then block dictionary sites and stuff.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:17008
brandon

Windows XP sucks!

Post by brandon »

I have several weeks experience with Linux ;)

I've used RH8 & 9, and Knoppix 3.2 & 3.3.

Knoppix is my favorite, but it hurts my eyes, and I hate antialiased fonts!!!!

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1663, old post ID:17009
Ally to good!
Nightmare to you!!!