linux article

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

http://worldchaos.no-ip.com:12123/old/mandrake.html

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14151
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

So the two text files go together right? And is the link part of the same or how do you want it?

As for site colors it's all done by the articles.php file, it just takes the "plain html" and throws it in the layout so the css and all applies automaticly to the font. This is why text or very plain html is preferred as it's easy to just put it in and add in the
s where I need them.

By the way you posted this at the right time since I'll be able to release it right away and not really worry about going over bandwidth given it's almost the end of the month. (by the time it has a big enough effect on traffic that is)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14152
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

Ok, sounds good. And yeah the mandrake article can pass for the install article.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14163
jryan

linux article

Post by jryan »

:thumbsup: Good Job!

I read through your first article, then the re-written ones. If you do happen to revisit the Window Managers, you may want to elaborate on XFCE. I noticed you mentioned it in that one .doc file, as well as KDE, GNOME and BlackBox, but you didn't really discuss it, just KDE, GNOME and BlackBox, but it is just a suggestion if you do decide to revisit Window Managers is a future article and happen to use what you wrote originally as a base.

Regards,

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14165
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

well I started on the window manager, but then I realized it was too much for the first article. I want to start slow and build a following almost. I plan on having a very comprehensive overview of basically everything so dont worry, I love different window managers.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14166
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

So are you ready for me to put it up? So it's the two text files in one article right, or do you want me to add the mandrake one as well on page 3 or whatever? Just want clarification before I go ahead and add it in :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14182
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

yeah all three, but make sure the mandrake one matches (color wise) to the others, It's black so...

You think it's ready for public release? Maybe we should have tak read it over as well? I don't want this to bomb out.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14193
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

Ok, so it's all the same article so whatislinux.txt then after bestdisto.txt and the mandrake one? Sounds good. I'll put them on 3 pages.

What I'll do is add it to the site but not the database so you can see how it will look like and maybe tak can read through it and I can add his name as well at the end for editing if he wants.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14199
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

sure definately add a counter on there too. and have a penguin picture!

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14211
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

Let me know what you think:

http://www.iceteks.com/articles/db.php/act...ticle/linux/p/1
http://www.iceteks.com/articles/db.php/act...ticle/linux/p/2
http://www.iceteks.com/articles/db.php/act...ticle/linux/p/3

Because it's not entered in the database yet it does not show the main title or the hits or anything, but once you aprove it I'll add it in the database. Also, what title and subtitle do you want me to put for the whole thing?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14221
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

2nd article, I tried to add my own HTML to it, you should be able to find it. It's one huge link :) :rofl:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14237
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

oh, and it looks good, except for the pages not linking together.

For page 2, I think it would be best to finnish it like this:
After you head to <a href="http://linuxiso.org> Linux ISO dot org</a> and find yourself a distro, you are going to have to burn the ISO (usually 650mb) as an image that is bootable. You should always download the first 3 cd's atleast, the rest are usually extra language packs and internationalization includes. You really do not need these. After your 3 cd's are burnt, get ready to partition and install your new distro.
add: I am including an article on how to install Mandrake 9.1, since I already had wrote it a while ago. Mandrake has a very easy and straight foward install, and I really think you do not need it, unless you really are new to linux. I suggest giving it a read though, since I stayed up till 3am writing it ;). Anyways, Look for the next article on how to install correctly, any distro.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14238
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

cool I'll add it after school, and the pages will link together once it's in the database. The script reads a number in the database to know how many pages to display on the bottom and that's how it works. Hits are only counted for the first page as well so it's accurate.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14251
L33T B0T

linux article

Post by L33T B0T »

cool I'll add it after school, and the pages will link together once it's in the database.  The script reads a number in the database to know how many pages to display on the bottom and that's how it works.  Hits are only counted for the first page as well so it's accurate.
I'm glad you like it. Tell your friends. ho told you that?I think there might be a few exception. :blink:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14252
L33T B0T
Serving the community since Undefined
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

I think I'll raise the randomness number for the bot. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14254
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

hahah, I like the bot, it's funny how is shows up like a lost puppy or something.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14264
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

lol yeah it's pretty cool. :D And it's getting smarter I find. There's still the problem where it skips the first letter of any sentance, but it makes it look more realistic. :biglaugh:

Anyway, are you ready for me to publish the article?

I noticed my smtp server sucks and only sends 50 out of 300 emails so it may be a while till I actually release it on to other tech sites as I need to find a better smtp server. I can't seem to find decent free ones.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14268
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

Yeah man, if you think it is error free go ahead. I hope I do not piss anyone off with this or some anal linux geek bashes it left and right. I did say that I am a newbie so....

but yeah your bot spells just like you.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14270
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

wldkos wrote:
but yeah your bot spells just like you.
:roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2:

Ok, I'll add it in. For some reason I think this will make it on slashdot, it's different from the average "80mm fan review" article. :lol:

Speaking of articles I might get a copy of Halo for reviewing. I never reviewed a game before so this will be my first one, should be interesting. I checked screen shots and stuff and it looks like a fun game. For once I'll be able to use my 64MB video card for something that needs it. :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14271
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

errr slashdot? How about "no".

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14312
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

Are you sure? 10K+ hits would be cool. You'll be famous! :D

Still have not submitted it no where though. Still trying to find a decemt smtp server.... that works.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14314
wldkos

linux article

Post by wldkos »

hahah, no. It's not even a great article, and there a millions out there. I would just like it if I could help a few people try linux and stay with it. I don't want millions coming from warp2search and slashdot and having me look like an butt. I barely know anything.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14316
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

lol ok no problem I won't submit it to those two sites, warp2search alone usually brings about 1000 hits, slashdot I heard it's insane (most sites run out of bandwidth or get very close to, or even crash). But once I have my smtp working properly I'll send out the mailing. Not very many people check the article section I see, it's been at 7 hits for long, and 4 of those are me when I was refreshing and stuff to figure out a problem on the first page. :D

I found an smtp server but it seems to error out allot on certain email addresses. Can't wait to build a linux server, linux is the only way to go when you need a good server, winsock sucks, so servers written for windows suffer from it.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14317
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

I have now officially released the article to my mailing list (100 or so tech sites)

Now it's the big wait to see if this beats my php article. :banana2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14319
Red Squirrel

linux article

Post by Red Squirrel »

Ouch, I doubt this will get far, the smtp server I have SUCKS. It errors out on almost every single address. Man I just can't wait to start making money to get a decent network setup with linux. Hopefully by this summer.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1543, old post ID:14320