how much harder is it to build your own Laptop

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

From my research,. It looks like the lease expensive

Any one have any ideas

Thank you so veru much

:banana: :thumbsup:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:12792
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

It's probably cheaper to buy then to build, the same as it is with normal desktops. Getting laptop parts is probably very hard, and I'm not sure how well parts interchange (mobos, hard disks, nics etc) never built or opened a laptop before so I'm not sure.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:12793
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
fishyfool

Post by fishyfool »

if you want to build your own, buy a barebones laptop.
all the parts will fit that way.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:12797
your friendly neighborhood possumfish
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Cheaper Red, yea right. Know how many of those pieces of Dell and HP crud I have had to work on...Don't get me started of Apple's Ibooks, what dung. Yea they have nice lil prices but lowgrade wiring, usurally reject motherboards, or and must I forget the worst case of overheat from not having good airflow. Boy how did you earn Adminship.

To Sin, as a 10+ Computer Tech and Web Master. I suggest custom building or rebuilding systems. Here, a barebone system I found that once you get the drives, memories, and cpu; You can except between 800 and 1000 dollars in all hardware. Easy to fit all togather. I think you'll like it. I also heard of I-Openers, something about taking standard PC parts and building a portal system, but know little of it myself. http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Sc...y_Code=Notebook

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20672
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

if you really want to try it then go with the bare bones kits. you might find one at http://www.tigerdirect.com but laptops are as said before known for getting hot.

and most of the hardware for them is speicaly made for laptops and none to very few are interchangeable. most of them if you want to put in extra cards there is no room and it is just plain cheaper to buy one from a good manufacture some people like dell some people like to pick on dell :D some like sony some like my ex truck driving partner likes to throw sony under the semi trucks wheels :cry:

you should just take in consideration where your going to buy it how your going to use it and what the best system is going to be to run on it.?

mostly when you buy or build a laptop and you sit it up for gaming, the next version of the game will more then likely not beable to run on the laptop and your not able to upgrade the laptop so your out a game platform if that is what you use it for.

it is best to get a desktop for games as the hardware changes fast for the on the edge gamers. and now intel has released their version of the pci express motherboard. so all the motherboards from the first of this year or last month are out dated hardware, still most the software is useing the old hardware yet but in a year or so all the old stuff will be hard to find like it is hard to find an isa slot card now.

so many choices in the way to go for a computer platform just try to make wise choices is all you can do.

and dell has last i heard, returned their support center to the united states. :awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20673
roving cowboy/ keith
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Themasterbuilder wrote: Boy how did you earn Adminship.
your new here.

so.

1 red is the admin for the forum because he started it. he is doing all the coding to keep the site nice and working and is doing a good job at it.

2 he has said several times he does not know everything but he trys best he can.

3 he like me is new to this stuff only he has taken classes in school.

i just learn from trial and error or from the call for help show that use to be on the techtv channel before they sold out and the show was canceled.

and i learn from getting help on my computer problems or for my friends and familys troubles.

4 red has been trying to get good programers and repairmen to join up so we can get answers here.

So let me welcome you to the forum and we wish to learn from you so please keep answering our problems when we post them :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20674
roving cowboy/ keith
Triple6_wild

Post by Triple6_wild »

lol i also learn from trial n error / mentors such as the ppl here :biglaugh:

guess most of us are mooching knowledge here <_>

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20677

Wait what?
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah maybe I should step down as a member. :P

One thing allot of people get wrong though is just because you're a mod/admin in a specific forum/board it does not mean you're the smartest there. I'm just here code stuff and help where I can. And "probably" is a key word, since I was saying it might be cheaper but I'm not 100% sure.

It also depends on where you live. Here, it would probably be in fact cheaper to buy then build because it's impossible to get parts so I'd have to order from the south or maybe even the states.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20678
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

kenshin wrote: lol i also learn from trial n error / mentors such as the ppl here :biglaugh:
That's the best way. That's how I learned so much about electricity. I learned that amps hurt more then volts, and it was trial and error, and all you need is a fork or paper clip. :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20679
Wren

Post by Wren »

Yep, what cowboy said. :P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20683
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm still willing to step down as a member though. :lol2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20684
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

it seems to have got off topic a bit here. but you guys are missing out on the best thing.

worn sparkplug wires that have real wire in them.

when you have the engine running and you, grab them at night you get blue lighting all over your hand and arm it dont shock that much kind of like a tickle as long as the engine is at idle. and if they are really worn you can just stand there and watch the blue lightining dance all over the engine its cool does not run to well but cool :D

back on topic now.

your that far out in the boonedocks are you red? costs lots for parts up there maybe you should come in out of the yukon territory once to see what real living is :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20686
roving cowboy/ keith
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

lol well living here is fine, in fact better, but we pay the price in terms of materialistic things. Things like lumber are cheaper here because it's where it's made, but stuff like computer parts is insane compared to in the states.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20689
ladytech

Post by ladytech »

In defense of RED his initial statement was correct and based on actual knowledge. He's just too darn polite sometimes to stick up for himself. He worked with my company for several months and saw the grief that comes from BRAND name PCS. He knows the problems associated with Dells, HPs etc. Since we are an OEM he also saw the price differences between us building a custom PC for someone and a customer building one themselves.

It is definitely cheaper for us to build a system for a customer than for a customer to build that exact same system for themselves piece by piece. When purchasing components for a build the customer pays a markup on each component individually. When purchasing a system we have built the markup is applied to the entire system not the individual components which saves the customer money. They also have the side benefit of a store warranty with onsite service. We pride ourselves in our builds which carries itself over to a good quality PC for the customer.

Please be aware that BRAND name PC's are not all that exist out there. I have been an OEM system builder for more than 10 years and know from experience if a customer has a system custom built for them by a REPUTABLE DEALER (not everyone is honest or cares about their product) that that system will run better and last longer than any NAME BRAND system.

Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't build your own. Aside from the cost... knowing your own system inside and out, plus the feeling of accomplishment, do help make building your own system a very satisfactory and enjoyable process. Just be aware that unless you are a certified technician many manufacturers do not have to honour their warranties.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1519, old post ID:20730