CPU Temperature

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

Checked my CPU temp in the BIOS and it's 64C/147F. It that too high? What should it be? :unsure:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11601
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

What type of processor is it? Mine runs high at 49C and it's a AMD athlon XP 2000+ underclocked. It should run at like 40C OVERclocked but I have problems with it overheating for some reason.

60 is kind of high, the danger spot is in the 80's but at 60 you may be in risk of loosing after a few years.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11603
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

P4 2.53

That's at full load since I'm running UD.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11605
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmmm I'm not really an expert with intel chips, but that still seems a bit high. Is it just using the default thermal pad, or is there some heat paste on it? If it's using the thermal pad you might want to add some thermal paste. :awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11606
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

I've only had it for a few months, never opened the case. Since it's under warranty I wouldn't want to do anything to it.

I decided to exit UD 'till I see what's going on. Should there be 2 fans? Under system fan, it's showing 0 RPMs. :unsure:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11607
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

there should at least be a front intake, but most of the time those just plug right into the PSU so it would not show the rpm.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11609
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

Ok, thanks, actually there are 2 front intakes. ;)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11612
rovingcowboy

CPU Temperature

Post by rovingcowboy »

:o

name the system and the make of computer i dont remember seeing it.?

but if you did not over clock the cpu and it is an intel then there is nothing to worry about as intel has little trouble with over heating. the trouble is the fans might quit on you.

now do you have the mother board moniter 5 program?? is that how you seen the fan rpm?

if not and you are worried about the system i would go and get the mbm5 program you can find it on majorgeeks.com it will take some setting up to get the right sensors to be seen on your system. but then you can see what is going on.

also if you are still worried about the heat. you can get the rain cooler from majorgeek.com also.

you will read some that people dont like rain and it caused trouble on their systems. i found no trouble? but i dont use it anymore as the computers i have now dont get hot anymore. (got enough fans) but you can get rain. and then set temps in the mbm5 program to turn on rain and then to turn it off again that way it will not be used only when needed.

i do that with the old pent 3 600hrz at moms house as in the summer up there it can get hot. but in spring fall and winter it is cold in the un heated basement. :blink:

but 60 degrees C. is not too hot for pent's it is normal. you want it cooler? do the above.

or take the case off and on the sides top and bottom of it tape over any holes and then put them back on, this will give you only intake holes on the front. now get some cardboard and make a chute that runs from the front of the ac vent to the front of the computer. if you dont have an ac vent use a floor or a desktop box fan. you will be forceing a lot of cool air in that way and your system wont have time to get hot. :awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11619
roving cowboy/ keith
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

No name brand, it was built by my local pc store. Mobo is MSI 845PE MAX

Pentium4 2.53 XP Home

Think I've narrowed it down to a fan, maybe a bearing, since you can hear a rattle or vibration went it's first started up. After about two minutes the noise stops. I'm taking it in to be checked on Monday. Took off one side of the case and cleaned it out and I'm monitoring the temps with Fuzzy Logic. So far it's down to 52C. I don't like the way the ribbon cables are arranged, could be restricting the airflow too so I'll keep the case open 'till I get it checked. ;)

A P4 processor is suppose to slow down automatically when the temps get too high.

There's PC ALert software that I can run too that will monitor the system.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11620
rovingcowboy

CPU Temperature

Post by rovingcowboy »

http://cgi.techtv.com/memberservices/newsl...92&release=3810 B)

wren try this page it will help.

B)

:banghead: :banghead: :angry: :angry:
this is messing up red it took 5 time of trying to get to this reply and i had to do the clicking on the links before the previous page loaded each time in order for it to load this reply.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11627
roving cowboy/ keith
Magic_it

CPU Temperature

Post by Magic_it »

what brand of system is this? 64 is still a bit high. my 3.0 p4 runs at 45 C full load. the threshold for mine is 70, so yeah 64 is high. you might want to open up the case for the first time and check it out, the heatsink might not even be put on properly.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11629
Your eyes must be wandering too much if you read this.
Magic_it

CPU Temperature

Post by Magic_it »

Red Squirrel wrote: Hmmm I'm not really an expert with intel chips, but that still seems a bit high. Is it just using the default thermal pad, or is there some heat paste on it? If it's using the thermal pad you might want to add some thermal paste. :awesome:
but remember, never to use both! ;)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11630
Your eyes must be wandering too much if you read this.
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

Thanks for the link, good reading there. ;)

I loaded PC ALert and set the alarm for 3 seconds. It went off last night and something went wacky with the voltage. Now there's a whole new can of worms. :rolleyes:

It's under warranty so I'll see what the techs have to say about it tomorrow. They can't talk down to me anymore...I'm not as dumb as I used to be! :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11631
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

Magic wrote:
Red Squirrel wrote: Hmmm I'm not really an expert with intel chips, but that still seems a bit high.  Is it just using the default thermal pad, or is there some heat paste on it?  If it's using the thermal pad you might want to add some thermal paste. :awesome:
but remember, never to use both! ;)
lol no, you'd have to scrap off the old one. I think this might be where I messed up since I got the worse off, but I had trouble removing it 100%. But I think I'll try it again and use my dremel. There's a bit for cleaning it's like a small cloth that spins. I can always use the sander bit too. :evilsmile:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11632
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

:roflmao2:

Red, you got more nerve than Jesse James! :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11633
rovingcowboy

CPU Temperature

Post by rovingcowboy »

i got that link in the screensavers news letter and i knew it was ment for you wren. :D B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11637
roving cowboy/ keith
wimpie

CPU Temperature

Post by wimpie »

last month during the heat here in the netherlands(35 C) my processor temp was around 47 C running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
i checked it during a reboot,so no offtime in it.
just a normal coolingfan and processor is intel celeron 1800(not so fast,but cheap)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11639
<!--Flash 300+75+http://wimpie.no-ip.com:82/uploads/wimp ... --><OBJECT CLASSID='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=75><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://wimpie.no-ip.com:82/uploads/wimp ... swf><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://wimpie.no-ip.com:82/uploads/wimpie-fxp.swf WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=75 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT><!--End Flash-->
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

we had a heat wave here (anything past 25 is considered a heat wave here, I think it was 30C that time) and mine was running at 70C lol. :unsure: :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11640
rovingcowboy

CPU Temperature

Post by rovingcowboy »

:lol: :blink:

its all that hair that squirrel has there that keeps it hot red. :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11643
roving cowboy/ keith
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

Hey, I'm back! :banana: Took this pc in Monday, just got it back a couple hours ago.

To make a long story short, there is a chip issue with MSI mobos that hasn't been resolved yet. It's reading the temps 10 degrees higher that they are actually running. I did wind up getting an extra fan for free since it's under warranty. Guess it was easier to leave it in than take it out when they discovered that wasn't the problem. I had them put another 512MB RAM in while it was there, so I'm good in the RAM department. B)

This mobo is a year old, you would think MSI would have fixed the problem by now since there are others having the same problem with their boards. :rolleyes:

Now when I run UD, it sets off the alarm in PC Alert! :banghead:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11664
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

rovingcowboy wrote: :lol: :blink:

its all that hair that squirrel has there that keeps it hot red. :roflmao2:
Yep, too much squirrel hair stuck in the fans. Maybe that time my tail got caught. :unsure: :biglaugh:

That's good to hear Wren, that everything is under control, but it must be ennoying that there's that alarm problem though!

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11665
rovingcowboy

CPU Temperature

Post by rovingcowboy »

:o

whoa thet thar bee an MSI board? Watch out fur thum thar Caps. on it.

as It were an MSI thet blew up On my utter puter. :no no no: :stir the pot:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11667
roving cowboy/ keith
Wren

CPU Temperature

Post by Wren »

Yep, it's an MSI. The tech put a probe on it to check the temp and it's actually running 10 degrees cooler than what PC Alert shows. If it goes maybe it will die before my warranty runs out! :lol:

MSI did release a new BIOS but according to the MSI forum it is not fixing the problem. Maybe I need to run it at full steam and see how long it lasts! :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11671
Red Squirrel

CPU Temperature

Post by Red Squirrel »

The warranty should cover a meltdown. Stick your finger in the fan to stop it, when you see smoke, let it run again, after watching a cool crash, bring it in and say it caught in smoke for no reason. :lol: J/K but that would maybe work. <_>

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1319, old post ID:11672