Why We Should Recycle...

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
Red Squirrel

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by Red Squirrel »

http://www.fullcirclerecycling.com/faq.html

* In this decade, it is projected that Americans will throw away over 1 million tons of aluminum cans and foil, more than 11 million tons of glass bottles and jars, over 4 and a half million tons of office paper and nearly 10 million tons of newspaper. Almost all of this material could be recycled.
* Incinerating 10,000 tons of waste creates 1 job, landfilling the same amount creates 6 jobs, recycling the same 10,000 tons creates 36 jobs.
* In a lifetime, the average American will throw away 600 times their adult weight in garbage. This means that each adult will leave a legacy of 90,000 lbs.of trash for their children.
* Recycling all of your home's waste newsprint, cardboard, glass, and metal can reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 850 pounds a year.
* Each of us generates on average 4.4 pounds of waste per day per person.
* Enough energy is saved by recycling one aluminum can to run a TV set for three hours or to light one 100 watt bulb for 20 hours.
* Americans throw away enough aluminum every three months to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet.
* Annually, enough energy is saved by recycling steel to supply Los Angeles with electricity for almost 10 years.
* You can make 20 cans out of recycled material with the same amount of energy it takes to make one new one.

* Nationwide, paper and cardboard account for 41 percent of all municipal solid waste--that's close to half of all the garbage generated in the U.S.
* Every Sunday, the United States wastes nearly 90% of the recyclable newspapers. This wastes about 500,000 trees!
* Every day Americans buy 62 million newspapers and throw out 44 million. That's the equivalent of dumping 500,000 trees into a landfill every week.
* American's throw away enough office and writing paper annually to build a wall 12 feet high stretching from Los Angeles to New York City.
* If everyone in the U.S. recycled just 1/10 of their newsprint, we would save the estimated equivalent of about 25 million trees a year.
* One tree can filter up to 60 pounds of pollutants from the air each year.
* It takes 75,000 trees to print a Sunday Edition of the New York Times.
* One ton of recycled paper saves 3,700 pounds of lumber and 24,000 gallons of water.
* One ton of recycled paper uses:64% less energy, 50% less water,74% less air pollution, saves 17 trees and creates 5 times more jobs than one ton of paper products from virgin wood pulp.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8794
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Chris Vogel

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by Chris Vogel »

Those facts are shocking! :bsod:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8796
Red Squirrel

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yep, it's horrible! I always tell my parants to recycle and they never do. Just horrible!

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8798
Chris Vogel

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by Chris Vogel »

Red Squirrel wrote: Yep, it's horrible!  I always tell my parants to recycle and they never do.  Just horrible!
My parents are too lazy to do it. :angry: :banghead:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8806
Red Squirrel

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I find it's terrible when people think it's "too much work". Putting it in a garbance can ain't any difference than putting it in a green box. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8817
greeneyes

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by greeneyes »

Thats good information Red! It will hopefully make people think twice. :banana:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8874
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Tracy*
rovingcowboy

Why We Should Recycle...

Post by rovingcowboy »

:huh:

sounds like i should do some of it also?? :( :unsure: :lol: nah..

i have a question.

we are told to conserve Water. Why where is it going mars or pluto.

or is it just going to go in to space?

also i hauled a load of alumin from an Alcoa plant. where i picked it up was their yard for recycling when i got there i backed up the rig and got out to get the load lined up. when i seen the huge 500 pounds heavy ingits of aliumin sitting there the top of them were dented in and had water with bugs swimming in it.

i asked how long it was there and they said about 3 yrs. upon some more questions the foreman told me they didnt need it as much as everyone thought. since most of it comes from old aircraft or junkyards. as he was telling me that i seen a huge dump truck they use hauling a load of returned cans, it was hitting bumps and the cans were falling off. i said to the foreman " then that is i guess why you dont pick up the cans that fall off the truck" he said " No we dont waste time to pick them up we just use them for paving"

since then i have not saved one can. and the newspapers are easy i just dont buy them. the plastic is all picked out at the dump so no need for me to sort them.

your dump might not do the sorting so check on it before you stop because plastic is getting hard to find since it is made with oil and all the oil is in iraq or iran.

:)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:1014, old post ID:8931
roving cowboy/ keith