Hello Everyone

This is a catch all off topic forum to talk about anything not covered by other sections.
GodIsYourself

Hello Everyone

Post by GodIsYourself »

Hello all, im just looking for a forum to discuss/debate my views of life. I will try my best to update and read everyones feedback as I exist. After you agree with me on most things I say you will relize whatever you want to know. First, I'll start with God.

To me, God is yourself. When you look towards God, your not really looking to anything but yourself. Seriously, think about it....God...you. Do you really want to listen to some ancient book that hasnt observed much if anything about the earth and why its here and how life got here. I'm not saying I know how life got here, God may exist, but its silly tot hink it does. The reason people are "smart" is becuase language, were the only animal that can talk, communicate...share ideas like that. I think once people started talking more, the more thoughts popped into their minds as they listened to others. Thats when relgion started. People were uneducated at others observations back than. Notice how i say observations... math and stuff is nothing more than observations of how things go together same with everything else. But believing in God is silly and the bible, im not trying to put anyone down here just trying to get them less ignorant on peoples views. This one day at school some girl was talking about how heaven exists, so I asked how she knew and her answer was it just does, well to me thats not a good enough answer. If heaven can just exist, why cant we... And if God created us, who created god, and if its always been here why couldnt the universe.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59147
Peace and love,
My own and your savior, or soon to be.
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

If it's silly to think God exists because he doesn't then how are you/we god? Not much in that post made sence.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59150
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
GodIsYourself

Hello Everyone

Post by GodIsYourself »

Hes you becuase the man in the sky doesnt exist, what it really is is yourself looking to "him" becuase you stop looking toward yourself.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59152
Peace and love,
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

Yeah. . .that still doesn't make sense.
I look to "him" because I look to myself looking for . . "him?"

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59153
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
GodIsYourself

Hello Everyone

Post by GodIsYourself »

When people look to God they are in need of help, or else theres really no reason if they have no problems. Everyone has problems, people doubt themselves. The human body is an amazing thing. Say somone is looking to God becuase they have cancer, if they die, they dont say anything. They wouldnt belive in god anymore most likely, becuase well, he didnt help them. On the other hand say they liv, than they might go around saying oh god saved me. Their just not reconizing how amazing they actually are. People should reconize how amazing they are and not some guy floating around in space.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59156
Peace and love,
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

What do people have to do with that?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59157
GodIsYourself

Hello Everyone

Post by GodIsYourself »

I look to "him" because I look to myself looking for . . "him?"

Why do you look to God? I don't know what you want me to explain. I can try my best to explain everything towards the best of my knowledge. Like why there were gods foreverything at one point, Sun god for sun, ect. People relized the sun would still come up even if they didnt pray, thats why they were all elimated from their societys or died out. Theres only one more step towords people being really "smart". And that is no god. Not athiesm.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59158
Peace and love,
manadren

Hello Everyone

Post by manadren »

I have to admit, it is kinda confusing trying to follow what you are trying to say. But I think I get part of it at least.

I've often attributed the power of 'God' to the power of self-delusion. For example, someone is looking for the courage or strength to get through some thing, they pray to god hoping that he will give them the strength, and in doing so, in believing that someone else will give them that strength, they find it in themselves. In believing god would give them confidence people find confidence, but it's the belief that makes it happen, not god. Similarly, if someone believes god will help them through some medical operation, they approach it with a positive attitude, and the mental stress which may have complicated the body's ability to fight infection is not there. But that's not to say that an atheist who's thoroughly convinced everything will be ok does not enjoy the same benefit.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59160
Stasi

Hello Everyone

Post by Stasi »

Welcome, GodIsYourself. Hopefully you'll stick around and get involved in the various discussions we'll have in the future.

I'm not a believer, myself. The only spirituality I have anymore is more nature oriented - I feel it when I'm out in the mountains, taking care of my plants, and watching animals interact with their world. However, I am not pagan, either. I don't believe in any sort of deity, though I could eventually view the earth as a pseudo-deity, if that makes any sense.

However, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with religious belief, whether it's true or not, so long as it is not used to actively oppress people or justify violent action.

Now to your argument that when a person prays or worships God, they are in effect praying to themself, in that any action or change of heart they experience is created from within, and not by some God-being.

If there is no God, then you're correct. If not, then you're wrong. I don't know whether or not there is any God.

I don't think that a belief in God represents weakness in the person. I think it represents a tendancy people have to adopt some kind of ideology that is of bigger scope than themselves individually, whether that ideology is religious or secular. In fact, the way some atheists zealously exercise their unbelief and try to spread it, you'd think they were some kind of evangelical religious group.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59165
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

Wait, what does this have to do with science? Shouldn't this be in Debates?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59194
Shinizo

Hello Everyone

Post by Shinizo »

GodIsYourself wrote: The reason people are "smart" is becuase language, were the only animal that can talk, communicate...share ideas like that.

Look up the bee. I just proved you wrong.

Edit: Also here's something else to think about.

God said we were created in His image. Therefore, we ARE NOT God, but we ARE in His likeness. Just because people look to God doesn't mean they're doubting themselves, though that tends to be the most cases. As for "strength" it's more of an emotional strength, as we pray for courage to get the things we feel we need done.

Proving he exists or not has no valid point, that's why the bible says to believe and have faith in Him. Because that's part of our test as Christians to be able to keep faith in God, even though people like to persecute a religion. There's nothing valid in proving it wrong or not, because it does not hinder what we believe.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59198
I have no GREAT FRIENDS or MEMORIES
Clueless

Hello Everyone

Post by Clueless »

we arent the only animals that communiate, thats for sure

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59199
"I don't have cat-like reflexes. Cats say they have Alex-like reflexes." - Alex
"I've never seen your ears. Do you even have ears?" - Robbie
"You threw away your friendship salami?!"
"My you're sexy when I'm drunk! And when im sober too!" - Gallagher
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

Shinizo wrote:
GodIsYourself wrote: The reason people are "smart" is becuase language, were the only animal that can talk, communicate...share ideas like that.

Look up the bee. I just proved you wrong.

:hmmm: :hmmm:
Is there an animal that can't communicate somehow?
And hey look it's The Shiz.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59202
Clueless

Hello Everyone

Post by Clueless »

yeah, my cat totally talks to me all the time.

"God may exist, but its silly tot hink it does"

what does that mean anyway? you're saying he could exist then saying it would be silly to think he exists? if you cant be sure yourself then how can you claim he doesnt exist?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59214
"I don't have cat-like reflexes. Cats say they have Alex-like reflexes." - Alex
"I've never seen your ears. Do you even have ears?" - Robbie
"You threw away your friendship salami?!"
"My you're sexy when I'm drunk! And when im sober too!" - Gallagher
fcbayer

Hello Everyone

Post by fcbayer »

um um i don't use god in a debate only if it is unexplainable but call each other as god is a bit far fetched but it what u believe in so it cool with me

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59290
flowergirlajg

Hello Everyone

Post by flowergirlajg »

this is pointless.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59411
[insert signature here ]
michaelk1993adg

Hello Everyone

Post by michaelk1993adg »

im confused :confused:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59458
http://web.wilson.k12.pa.us/buildings/so/s...mp3%20page.html this is a song my strings class plays. Bet You're jealous. Nerds.
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

fcbayer wrote: um um i don't use god in a debate only if it is unexplainable but call each other as god is a bit far fetched but it what u believe in so it cool with me
Well you haven't been on in a while.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59464
flowergirlajg

Hello Everyone

Post by flowergirlajg »

ARGH!!
Its this simple; He exists, and He is almighty, don't try to understand Him, He is too great for that! Just have faith in Him, and all will be well! :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:59568
[insert signature here ]
robonightmare

Hello Everyone

Post by robonightmare »

what i heard that made me belive in god is this:

if god does exist, then it would be very bad to meet up with him and have him be pissed at you. in case you dont know, the bible mentions a place called hell. and I REALLY DONT WANT TO GO THERE. There is one thing about god that mystifies me. why would he just decide one day to create us? what is our use to him? and why would a creature that could create galaxies at will want our worship? and why do we always refer to god as him? how do we know god isn't female? or more, why would god need to be any gender? does god reproduce? probably not, so god is probably gender neutral, or an it. the concept of gender neutrality does not seem to come to mankind often.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:60524
This message has been brought to you by the American Stupid Signature Association of America (ASSAA)
manadren

Hello Everyone

Post by manadren »

I've never liked the "just in case" argument for God. I mean if you're going to take that road you might as well start worshiping Cthulhu, and Osiris, and Neptune, and Thor, and that god I just made up 5 min ago that really really hates it when people don't' believe in him, etc. But then you got the whole "Thou shalt not have any other gods before me" bit, so really, if you take the 'just in case' road, you're screwed no matter what.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:60566
Reaper

Hello Everyone

Post by Reaper »

Cthulhu might be great, but Yog-Sothoth is better (just because I like it's name).

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:60707
Stasi

Hello Everyone

Post by Stasi »

robonightmare wrote: what i heard that made me belive in god is this:

if god does exist, then it would be very bad to meet up with him and have him be pissed at you. in case you dont know, the bible mentions a place called hell. and I REALLY DONT WANT TO GO THERE. There is one thing about god that mystifies me. why would he just decide one day to create us? what is our use to him? and why would a creature that could create galaxies at will want our worship? and why do we always refer to god as him? how do we know god isn't female? or more, why would god need to be any gender? does god reproduce? probably not, so god is probably gender neutral, or an it. the concept of gender neutrality does not seem to come to mankind often.
Funny, you seem to be Christian, no? Therefore, you believe the Bible to be gospel, no? Therefore, you believe that because the Bible refers to God as male, he is male, no?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:60716
Stasi

Hello Everyone

Post by Stasi »

manadren wrote: I've never liked the "just in case" argument for God. I mean if you're going to take that road you might as well start worshiping Cthulhu, and Osiris, and Neptune, and Thor, and that god I just made up 5 min ago that really really hates it when people don't' believe in him, etc. But then you got the whole "Thou shalt not have any other gods before me" bit, so really, if you take the 'just in case' road, you're screwed no matter what.
True dat. I've always found it funny when people have bumper stickers that say something about how it's better to be safe than sorry, etc. Ok, cool. So for what intelligible reason should I believe what you believe? Oh, because I'll supposedly go to Hell if I don't? Ok. Sounds great. Worshipping a God of love only out of fear of endless torment. Wonderful.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:60717
flowergirlajg

Hello Everyone

Post by flowergirlajg »

GodIsYourself wrote: When people look to God they are in need of help, or else theres really no reason if they have no problems. Everyone has problems, people doubt themselves. The human body is an amazing thing. Say somone is looking to God becuase they have cancer, if they die, they dont say anything. They wouldnt belive in god anymore most likely, becuase well, he didnt help them. On the other hand say they liv, than they might go around saying oh god saved me. Their just not reconizing how amazing they actually are. People should reconize how amazing they are and not some guy floating around in space.

If somebody is dead, died from cancer, and wasn't saved by god, they should be grateful because God took them to heaven, which is beautiful and amazing, there is no suffering or pain or hate, just loooooooooooove. So, really, if somebody died from cancer or any other way, they'd be perfectly happy. Anyway, it would be their time. and besides, you say,

"If they die, they won't sayt anything."
Welll, yeah, but they are dead too.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3233, old post ID:60878
[insert signature here ]