my new computer

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

yay!!! i just bought myself a new computer. i earned the money for all the parts and i bought and assembled it myself. pretty good for a 14 year old huh? anyways. right now its got half a gig of memory. soon i will get trade it with my dad for a full gig. i have an AMD athalon 64 3000+ processor with an AMD sempron motherboard. i have a serial ATA 160gb hard drive. and i have an awesome 52x/32x/52x/16x, combo drive. my comp has 7 fans in it including the cpu cooling fan. the fan on the clear plexiglass side has 2 LEDs in it. 1 is red, and the other is yellow. so the fan looks orange, my favorite color. i feel so good. i bought this computer with my own money all by my self. i just mowed a bunch of lawns. oh yeah!!! i forgot. i have a really awesome keyboard that i got at fry's electronics for like 8 bucks. it is such a good deal, it has a bunch of buttons like for quick links to stuff, and it also works as a remote for if i wanna play DVD's on my comp. i dont have my mouse yet, the one i wanted at fry's was sold out. oh well. it was a pretty good optical mouse tho. yeah so. it rox. i just downloaded the brand new norton firewall/ anti-virus/anit-spam/ anti-everything bad crap with new ghost thingywhatsomawhosit. so yeah. it rox. it is the best comp in my house cause all the other comps are so old and the stuff in them sux. good thing is, i dont have to let ANYONE use it....EVER!!!!! exept for my dad....darn parental controls.....but he only uses it to help me by making sure my firewall is not screwed up or anything. by the way, he it a computer technitian. he is awesome. he knows like....EVERYTHING about computers. and i mean EVERYTHING!!!! from the bios to the power supply, he knows it all. anyways. yeah. he rox... and my computer rox. and this whole thing just rox. roxxx....xxxx... yeah i'm done.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35600
"Your neighbor was kind enough to let us rip him off and burn his furniture for no reason."-ATHF
"He said no, Err. With his foot." -ATHF
"Please, stop fueling my silent rage." -ATHF
The Gheyness

my new computer

Post by The Gheyness »

BEFORE I EVEN READ THIS I WANT TO SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35601
I'm not adopted and I'm not an Indian.
It's just a coincidence that I have
a love of gambling and booze
and a knack for catching syphilis.
The Gheyness

my new computer

Post by The Gheyness »

Good job on the whole buying it yourself and putting it together yourself thing.

That rox.

Maybe it's just me, though, but your computer sounds like an epileptic seizure waiting to happen, what with all the LED's and enough fans to cool down Shaq O'Neal's sack after a double OT game in the Finals.

But good job, honey bunny. You rox.

xoxo

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35602
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

i had a pic but it was to big i'd resize but it's 1 in the morning and my mom thinks that its bad to be up on a wee..ke...n......d wait....wtf? weekend! anyways. i still got to go or i might get my comp taken away from me.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35608
"Your neighbor was kind enough to let us rip him off and burn his furniture for no reason."-ATHF
The Gheyness

my new computer

Post by The Gheyness »

Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35609
Cicero

my new computer

Post by Cicero »

Does this new computer not do paragraphs? ^_^

Anyway thats pretty cool. I'd say you had to cut alot of grass to earn enough for a computer.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35611
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

yes, it does paragraphs. thank you very much.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35616
Chris Vogel

my new computer

Post by Chris Vogel »

Wow! That is really good, and not just for a fourteen-year-old! :)

EDIT: What kind of monitor do you have?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35618
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

Tak wrote: Wow!  That is really good, and not just for a fourteen-year-old!  :)

EDIT:  What kind of monitor do you have?
well i am using my computer in my dad's office right now. we are sharing his monitor because i had enough money to buy everything for the computer.....exept the network card and the graphics card but that was not a problem because the motherboard has a graphics card built in. ummm it just sux. but it'll tide me over till i supe it up. n e ways. my dad has a flat screen 17 inch dell monitor that i am sharing. my parents are buying me my own flatscreen for my birthday. once i get the network card, will move it up to my room and i will have to live with this 17 inch auxillary monitor until my birthday. the only reason my parents are buying me a $300 monitor for my b-day is because they are giving the old (and still quite good for an 8 year old) computer to my 8 year old brother who doesnt need 80gb of storage and 512mb of ram and an ok graphics card. all of which will be free for him since we already own the computer. and they are buyin my sister a computer because se needs one for schoolwork. so they are buying both my siblings computers and i have to buy my own? with my own cash? nu uh. i dont think so. so they agreed to buy me a good monitor to make it fair. i guess. soo. the benefit to all of this is that i bought the computer parts my self including the case and it will be at least 10x better than any of my siblings. even though theirs will be free for them. mine will kick ass. and plus, i will murdere all their butts in an unrealtournament2004 lan party. and they will probably get cheap auxillary monitors while i will be livin it up with my flat panel digital. oh freakin yeah.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35645

my new computer

Post by 000 »

This new motherboard does not have an onboard NIC? I didn't think they made them without an onboard Network Interface Card anymore. Go figure. :huh:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35646
The Gheyness

my new computer

Post by The Gheyness »

Yeah, if it has onboard graphics it almost surely has onboard NIC.

What's the brand and model of this motherboard?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35651
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

0 wrote: This new motherboard does not have an onboard NIC? I didn't think they made them without an onboard Network Interface Card anymore. Go figure.    :huh:
no no no... it has an nic. it just isnt wireless. see the router for my network is on the 1st floor of my house and my room is on the second floor, and getting a cable from the router to my room would be really hard. so we need a wireless-G PCI network adaptor. get it?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35657
Red Squirrel

my new computer

Post by Red Squirrel »

Wait, so you put a 64-bit cpu in a semptron motherboard? Isin't semptron a 32-bit chip? I figured it was AMD's version of celeron, but I never seen or used one so can't say for sure. I'm assuming it works, if it did not go up in smoke. :lol: I remember building my first PC, it was so exciting, because our P3 was crap. :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35660
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

Red Squirrel wrote: Wait, so you put a 64-bit cpu in a semptron motherboard?  Isin't semptron a 32-bit chip?  I figured it was AMD's version of celeron, but I never seen or used one so can't say for sure.  I'm assuming it works, if it did not go up in smoke. :lol:  I remember building my first PC, it was so exciting, because our P3 was crap. :lol:
uhhh yeah. ummm it went in fine, and my computer is running like a dream. so i think i got it right. and by the way everything that is AMD is better than Intel. especially when it comes to gaming. plus theres a lawsuit at Intel cause the supposedly took some of AMD's stuff or something like that.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35682
Red Squirrel

my new computer

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah I heard of that lawsuit.

I seriously thought the semptron chip was 32 bit though, so that a 64bit chip would not work in a mobo designed for a semptron. but like I said I never tried. I'm still using an Athlon 32 bit. :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35683
Cicero

my new computer

Post by Cicero »

goalguarder12 wrote:
Red Squirrel wrote: Wait, so you put a 64-bit cpu in a semptron motherboard?  Isin't semptron a 32-bit chip?  I figured it was AMD's version of celeron, but I never seen or used one so can't say for sure.  I'm assuming it works, if it did not go up in smoke. :lol:  I remember building my first PC, it was so exciting, because our P3 was crap. :lol:
uhhh yeah. ummm it went in fine, and my computer is running like a dream. so i think i got it right. and by the way everything that is AMD is better than Intel. especially when it comes to gaming. plus theres a lawsuit at Intel cause the supposedly took some of AMD's stuff or something like that.

Hmm,that sounds like the never questioning words of a FANBOY!!!

I'm getting my fanboy burning hat.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35684
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

my new computer

Post by Red Squirrel »

I'm not really pro intel or pro AMD, they both make decent processors. An Intel Xeon, for example, would make an excelent workstation processor. :D But the worse processor you can get is a celeron. Mind you, they're under 100 bucks, so if I wanted a really low buget machine for something, it's the way to go.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35687
Chyse

my new computer

Post by Chyse »

Red Squirrel wrote: Yeah I heard of that lawsuit. 

I seriously thought the semptron chip was 32 bit though, so that a 64bit chip would not work in a mobo designed for a semptron.  but like I said I never tried.  I'm still using an Athlon 32 bit. :P
ohhh 32-bit. i'm sorry. i think the sempron is a 64 bit. or maybe it just says sempron. i dunno. i bought them both in a motherboard and cpu combo deal at fry's elecrtonics. soo yeah. they better work.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35691
Stasi

my new computer

Post by Stasi »

Cicero wrote:
goalguarder12 wrote:

Hmm,that sounds like the never questioning words of a FANBOY!!!

I'm getting my fanboy burning hat.
Touché. I got sick and tired of brand fanboys when I worked in computer sales.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35917
Red Squirrel

my new computer

Post by Red Squirrel »

Retail is fun...

</sorcastic>

:D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:35950
Joe

my new computer

Post by Joe »

I just got a new pc too. I didn't have the skills or the balls to build my own. Nice job.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:36106
Red Squirrel

my new computer

Post by Red Squirrel »

Building is actually not as hard as you would think. All the parts are premade, so no soldering required or anything. If it fits, it goes there, if it does not fit, try somewhere else. :D

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:36240
Cicero

my new computer

Post by Cicero »

Only thing I wouldnt be sure of is installing the BIOS and OS and all the other stuff needed. I also wouldnt have a clue about what parts are compatible with what.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:36241
Sir Winston Churchill
Red Squirrel

my new computer

Post by Red Squirrel »

The bios is built on, the OS is just like installing any other software.

The hardest part is probably knowing what's compatible and what's not. Ex: when I first started I figured you could put an intel cpu on an AMD motherboard and vise versa. These are all things to research, and most good suppliers will tell you if the parts you order are not compatible, if you ask.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:36242
Jack Potato

my new computer

Post by Jack Potato »

:blink: too...many...numbers and words....WARNING! WARNING! BRAIN OVERLOAD! *alarms* VOOOP! VOOOP! :wacko: :excl: :excl: :excl: :microwave:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:2216, old post ID:36367